engine removal - advice

Maestro, SEI-V
3potjohn

Re: engine removal - advice

Post by 3potjohn »

The receipt was close to the number of the beast, from NLM. I expect you would get it done cheaper?
Tim

Post by Tim »

to continue the saga the rear cylinder and head are now off.

So the loss of compression in the rear cylinder had a different cause - the top ring completely seized and the 2nd partially so. The culprit is being stood in damp conditions with evidence of slight corrosion.

Ive found someone to repair the crack in the front head (£150 + VAT approx), The rear head has the very beginnings of a crack and I'm pondering whether to ge ahead with both. Valves and guides may also be needed.

As to the cylinders and pistons they are right on the limit advised by the blue book so, as this bike won't be doing a lot of miles (if any at all!!) I'm toying with the idea of new rings only with a light hone. Or shell out for rebore and new pistons? This is basically an old nail (but a nice old nail) so there's no showroom renovations planned even if I could afford it!

As usual any help/advice appreciated
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

See if you can can get some liners made for the cylinders if you go down the rebore route. SEP at Kegworth made some for my Laverda at standard bore, so I could keep the pistons, just needed new standard rings. Might be worth asking around before you go down the re bore route with the attendant cost of pistons and rings (and availability!).
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

https://westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk may be able to help. I shall be very interested to hear how the crack repair pans out. There are some barrels and pistons on ebay.de for a not inconsiderable price.
John
Tim

Post by Tim »

So the saga continues. It appears the cylinders are beyond limits so first oversize pistons are going to be required. It’s all starting to mount up but like some sad gambler chasing spiralling losses I’m going to soldier on…

All parts seem to be available from Mdina apart from exhaust valves - I’ve emailed them to see if that’s indeed the case - any suggestions for sourcing if not??
Tim

Post by Tim »

Version 2.jpg
Version 2.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
Heads now repaired and ready for the rebuild.

Any advice re fitting the Athena head and base gaskets?

Using the bluebook for re-assembly but comments welcome especially potential pitfalls!!
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

That looks like a good repair, bearing in mind I have not seen the inside of mine yet. Where did you get it done?
As far as gaskets go a very thin bead of Threebond 1215 works well but only a THIN smear.. I think the only gotchas on the top end are dropping the spring off the rocker cover breathers, getting the rocker blocks the right way up, over tightening a rocker stud and pulling it out and p*ss threading the exhaust nut. I make a bit of effort trying to clean out any carbon looking muck from the threads.
If you do drop the allen bolt down the back of the pushrod tunnel a magnet or double sided tape on a stick or even will get it.
Good videos on setting rocker end float on youtube
John
Tim

Post by Tim »

thanks John
Ben Hobbs at Auto Engineering Chard Junction Somerset did the work https://www.autoengineeringchard.com