National Road Rallys

Where have you been on your Morini? Post your tales of ride outs, great roads, holidays etc here.
MickeyMoto

National Road Rallys

Post by MickeyMoto »

Anybody doing the following?

Welsh National Road Rally
THE National Road Rally
Scottish National Road Rally?

I have entered the Welsh one, will enter the National one, but the Scottish one is in September and not sure what is happening then.

All three are now organised by the ACU/BMF.

Mike.
robint

Re: National Road Rallys

Post by robint »

Have done all of these regularly but not on the 350 Sport, the Deauville is rather better for 400+ mile days! I do go for the highest awards in all of them and if anyone needs some info I can certainly advise - there are lower awards requiring far more gentle riding and as I get even more mature these may become appealing....
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I tend to use the BMW as the range means less stopping for fuel. The Welsh will be using an app this year designed for car ralies, so will be interesting. Think I might go for a lesser award.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

I did the National Rally three times way back when. First on an AJS 650 31CSR, then a Morini 350 Strada and the last time on a BMW R90/6. You can guess which was the least tiring experience (all 'Maximum' marks). In fact, I still have the ACU National Rally AJS award for 1971 tankard on my shelf. Decided on a 'regularity' average speed over two legs special test. Part of the fun was working out the maximum marks route using a reasonably close to home start from the list and map of check points.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

72degrees wrote: 09 Apr 2022 07:03 I did the National Rally three times way back when. First on an AJS 650 31CSR, then a Morini 350 Strada and the last time on a BMW R90/6. You can guess which was the least tiring experience (all 'Maximum' marks). In fact, I still have the ACU National Rally AJS award for 1971 tankard on my shelf. Decided on a 'regularity' average speed over two legs special test. Part of the fun was working out the maximum marks route using a reasonably close to home start from the list and map of check points.
My name is on the same trophy too, for getting Gold on my 1948 Matchless single. That would be around 2004 or so. Did it twice on that bike, 6 volt lights and all. The dynamo packed up somewhere around Church Stretton over the Long Mynd in complete darkness. Good job my accomplice had modern lights on his 1970's Commando. :?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I've done it twice in the past. First time on a VF750 (even won a prize!) then on an FJ1200. did feel like I was cheating on the FJ as it was too easy! I entered in 2020 but we all know how that went!!
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I might do the National Road Rally, I am doing the Round Britain Rally, albeit I've only visited one of the locations so far this year. I did both last year and even combined the two by visiting a RBR location while doing the NRR. I've no need to cover the maximum distances or waypoints, I'm happy doing enough to make my various motorbike rides more interesting by adding some of the waypoints to those rides.

Oh, and I ride just about any motorbike that's available to me at the time, for instance I did around 800 miles for the RBR on an old 1970's Honda TL125S. The Morini's were also used for some of the journeys, and various other motorbikes for the rest.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Lovely day on the Welsh yesterday. Unfortunately BMW mounted.

Nice and easy and my friend said it was his best ride for years. Good weather, glorious views and the roads were literally bend after bend.

Two gentlemen tourers minus their butler.
Attachments
IMG_20220507_164712__1652023032_85.255.236.24.jpg
IMG_20220507_164712__1652023032_85.255.236.24.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Glad you had an excellent ride in Wales on your BMWs. I've also got an R80/7 project in the wings.