Corsaro Adv/Ret mechanism

Singles built before the Lambertini era
Steve Brown

Corsaro Adv/Ret mechanism

Post by Steve Brown »

In case anyone has an early type Corsaro with the adv/ret mechanism inside the flywheel, and it's sticking or worn-I have the answer!
No, not an electronic kit but how to fix the original bits. On my bike the ignition parts were all in good condition and giving a decent spark, plus the charging coils were fine too. Once I got the bike running it was soon obvious the adv/ret was going straight to max advance and staying there. This meant it was hard to set a decent idle without sudden stalling as the throttle was almost completely closed.
It turned out that on my bike the bob-weight was flying out too far and the flywheel magnets were holding it there. The wear is mainly in the pivot hole of the weight, and on the small lug on the weight that connects to the points cam and controls its movement.
I couldn't fix the pivot hole with the facilites here but I was able to remove some material from the edge of the weight until it was clear of the magnets.I had to remove about 2mm max.
The lug connecting to the cam had a little flat worn on it and I used a small file to give it a round profile again.
The spring and its circlip (E clip actually) was the most awkward bit to refit but it did go back after a little messing about with picks and so on.
The result is perfect. I can now see the timing advancing with a strobe light (I put a little video on the facebook page) It's smooth and responsive and definitely not sticking any more. I'll leave the electronic kits for a while now! 8) 8)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.