Kanguro 90º Tacho Drive

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
stratos23

Kanguro 90º Tacho Drive

Post by stratos23 »

Hello from New Zealand!

Could anyone out there help with with a 90º tacho drive for my '81 Kangaroo 350? (that runs off the ignition timing shaft). The little square input shaft has sheared off and it looks impossible to pull apart for a repair.

Interested in new, or second hand replacement ...or even any ideas about adapting a similar part. The connection to the tacho cable is the typical 16mm x 1mm thread, but the threaded male spigot that runs into the timing cover is 15mm x 1mm (but this could be easily modified).

It's very similar to the CEV units found on Ducati singles, but the coupling to the bike is quite different (slot rather than the Morini's square drive).

Thanks in advance,
Greg
norbert

Re: Kanguro 90º Tacho Drive

Post by norbert »

I only know, that in the moment they are not available at Stein-Dinse / Germany
RobinSF1

Post by RobinSF1 »

I bought one from gutsibits in UK for my 500 SEI-V, part number HAG17361

Hopefully you have a more local source of Guzzi spares?
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

RobinSF1 wrote: 11 Jan 2023 21:47 I bought one from gutsibits in UK for my 500 SEI-V, part number HAG17361

Hopefully you have a more local source of Guzzi spares?
Hello and thanks for the tip!

I buy quite a bit from Gutsibits (I also have Guzzi's) and even already have one of these to compare. The output end fits perfectly with the tacho cable but other (input) side that couples with the CDI spindle is completely different unfortunately.

I've trawled the internet and nothing is showing up.

Does anyone out there have a second hand one?
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

I've just drawn it up for a bit of clarity on the subject....
Attachments
KanguroTachoCoupling.png
KanguroTachoCoupling.png (40.98 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Good to see that difference explained.
Have you tried Mdina Italia?
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

So to confirm you are after the one for the engine casing, not the instruments.

The instrument end is back to front compared to the engine end.

I had one from NLM in 2018, I'll see if the invoice is in my records for the part number.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Part number 46.03.29

Hard to get.

Mdina have used ones in stock:

https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/tacho-elb ... -used.html

Don’t forget club members get a 10% discount

While you’re at it check that the nut on the end of the camshaft into which the tacho drive locates is in good condition. The square hole in that which is what drives the tacho drive can wear round. Part number 46.03.33 but Mdina aren’t listing any stock of new ones, only used:

https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/M460333U.html

If you need a new one then there was a very helpful post on the forum explains how to make one with some clever turning/milling/welding- see this post:

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/forum ... ive#p39401
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

MickeyMoto wrote: 16 Jan 2023 11:29 So to confirm you are after the one for the engine casing, not the instruments.

I had one from NLM in 2018, I'll see if the invoice is in my records for the part number.
Just remembered, it was the nut with the square hole for the camshaft. I bought a cover with the 90 degree bend off ebay.

Tom has kindly given the part number.
norbert

Post by norbert »

They are not easy to find :roll:

How it should be, how problems begin and how it ends:
k-DSCI0261.JPG
k-DSCI0261.JPG (27.43 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
It´s very important to distance the drive properly with the distance washers. As far as posible into the nut with the sqare hole, but with a little clearence left.

The nuts can end like this:
k-DSCI0003.JPG
k-DSCI0003.JPG (21.96 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
This one was obviously mounted without the special washer. To avoid that problem I use the special washer plus on top a usual washer (I´ve had that problem, not that brutal, also using the special washer) If you fix the nut on the camshaft it can be blasted from the inside :wink:

These nuts don´t need to be fixed with much tourque. I stop when I begin to turn the motor fixing it with a spanner.

Also I use to grind a little bit the beginning of the drilling of the rotor to make it a bit easier to get it out again. As you only can take of the rotor via the pickup, sometimes there ist the problem of a stuck rotor.
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

MickeyMoto wrote: 16 Jan 2023 11:29 So to confirm you are after the one for the engine casing, not the instruments.

Yes - the ENGINE end. You don't need a 90º fitting for the tacho end (there's enough room for it to screw directly onto the tacho).

Thanks!
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

morini_tom wrote: 16 Jan 2023 12:42 Part number 46.03.29

Hard to get.

Mdina have used ones in stock:

https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/tacho-elb ... -used.html

Don’t forget club members get a 10% discount

While you’re at it check that the nut on the end of the camshaft into which the tacho drive locates is in good condition. The square hole in that which is what drives the tacho drive can wear round. Part number 46.03.33 but Mdina aren’t listing any stock of new ones, only used:

https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/M460333U.html

If you need a new one then there was a very helpful post on the forum explains how to make one with some clever turning/milling/welding- see this post:

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/forum ... ive#p39401
Brilliant, thanks Tom!

In my internet trawling, I missed those for some reason. If I can't source one from any of the local Morini hoarders here in NZ, I'll put an order through to Mdina (although last time I tried ordering a whole lot of Morini parts from them, they were a lot less enthusiastic than NLM used to be - I think they're primarily Ducati people!).

Thanks also for the link on making the nut from scratch - I did see that post - very clever and helpful!

:D
stratos23

Post by stratos23 »

norbert wrote: 16 Jan 2023 16:39 They are not easy to find :roll:

How it should be, how problems begin and how it ends:
k-DSCI0261.JPG

It´s very important to distance the drive properly with the distance washers. As far as posible into the nut with the sqare hole, but with a little clearence left.

The nuts can end like this:
k-DSCI0003.JPG
This one was obviously mounted without the special washer. To avoid that problem I use the special washer plus on top a usual washer (I´ve had that problem, not that brutal, also using the special washer) If you fix the nut on the camshaft it can be blasted from the inside :wink:

These nuts don´t need to be fixed with much tourque. I stop when I begin to turn the motor fixing it with a spanner.

Also I use to grind a little bit the beginning of the drilling of the rotor to make it a bit easier to get it out again. As you only can take of the rotor via the pickup, sometimes there ist the problem of a stuck rotor.
Thanks Norbet! There's a story in those pictures!

Good advice re the correct penetration of the square shaft. There were two shims on my one, and I suspected that this might be the case.

Shame no one's making these new - eventually the second hand ones will all wear out! Then we'll have to resort to modifying something like those off a Ducati single - which would necessitate a different kind of nut on the CDI pick-up spindle...

:D
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

stratos23 wrote: 17 Jan 2023 05:19

Brilliant, thanks Tom!

… I'll put an order through to Mdina (although last time I tried ordering a whole lot of Morini parts from them, they were a lot less enthusiastic than NLM used to be - I think they're primarily Ducati people!).
Give Mdina another try. Doug who is the new owner of Mdina (since a little over a year ago) is very keen to support the Morini community and has been investing in new stock, is working hard to get more of the parts listed and photographed online (an endless task) and although he is also primarily a Ducati man, he has embraced Morinis- hes’s bought himself a kanguro and attended the club rally and AGM last year.
Firingonone

Post by Firingonone »

Had the same problem ,couldn't get a replacement. In desperation I drifted the drive bar out. This pushes out the disc on the outside which is a press fit.
I then replaced the broken drive shaft with some square section bar. I put loctite on the outside disc and tapped it back in. I always covered the outside with duct tape as insurance!