Kanguro

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Neadethal

Kanguro

Post by Neadethal »

Well she's arrived and yes it's plastic tank, but looks designed for it and will be good for long distance trials, engine turns over and generally looks complete.
Must finish some existing projects before I get carried away!
Nice paoli remote reservoir shock, feels in good order.
Would post photo but site limit reached.
Neadethal

Re: Kanguro

Post by Neadethal »

Being unfamiliar with both Moto Morinis in general and the Kanguro even more so, after the first of significant help.
I have no apparent spark.
Does anyone have a Kanguro wiring diagram please.
I believe generally MM do not need a battery to power the ignition, is this true for the kanguro.
Any obvious ports of call to check out?
Thanks in advance. Just loving the look of these bikes.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

A proper expert will be along soon I'm sure but in the meantime be prepared to be confused. As standard the Kang has the strangest electrics I've ever heard of, being a combination of 6V & 12V, AC & DC! Not the same as the 3 1/2 or others. There is a Green Lane Morini WhatsApp group which I'm sure you will be soon invited to. There are people there who actually understand them!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As Vitesse says they are a bit different. 6 volts (DC) from battery for the stop/tail lights, pilot lamp in front, instrument lights and hooter.
12 volts (AC) direct from flywheel for the headlamp main and dip beam.
As you guessed the ignition is separate and self generating. The flywheel has 1 coil that energises when you kick the engine over. That then supplies the transducers (CDI/HT coils) under the tank. They are sent a signal by the pick up on the left end of the camshaft and spark the plugs at the right moment.
There are good youtube videos to teach all this from Soren Hansen (in Denmark) and Paul Compton in the UK. If you need a manual they can be downloaded from the members area or bought as photocopies from a couple of places.
Yes there is a green lane section that you are invited to join (as a paid up member of MRC) I think I've mentioned it before.
As for the experts, you'll have to wait a little longer. :wink:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

The malaise runs a little deeper. Even with a 6v battery connected everything is dead.
Is/should there be a fuse buried somewhere?
Bike was stored with key in ignition and I'm wondering If damp has migrated into ignition at base of lock, everywhere dead as ignition is effectively permanently "off".
I can live with 6v dc and 12v ac for a while I've read about conversions, have printed off a blue book and am a fully paid up member.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Take off the green wire from the ignition switch/key (to eleminate fault over there > then there should be sparks even with the key in posicion off) and be sure that the kill switch (handlebar) is in position on. Make sure that the green cable from the alternator arrives well (passing for the central board) to the CDIs below the tank and that the CDIs have good ground (blue cable).
When then there is is no spark at all kicking, I would measure the resitance of the green cable coming from the alternator to ground. To avoid starting problems there shoud be at least about 180 Ohm on this coil.

Apart from the Kokossan driven models the ignition system of all the old V2 morinis is allways the same the same (only changing the pickups from red to black and in the consequence the CDIs as well from bricklike black ones to grey knuckled ones)
Last edited by norbert on 27 Mar 2023 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Thank you. I will try later thus week, wires are very faded but sure I'll suss it.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

What Norbert says. The ignition is killed by being earthed to the frame. As a member then you can join the Green Lane Section (great lanes your area!) so take a peak in ATG and you'll see my contact number listed. Message me on that and I'll add you to the group. Assuming you want to be added of course. It's the best Green Lane section in the club though, with a lot of knowledge available for these bikes and the lanes too!
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Thanks for the invite Steve I certainly will. Obviously need to get the old girl running and UK registered first, but have a ktm250 I could join you with until its sorted.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Definitely watch those videos, especially heed warnings about sticking 12v directly through the transducers.
I used Paul Compton’s “ testing the transducers” video only yesterday.
Unusual to have both fail so lets hope is is more simple.That green wire is a good starting point.What else to do with this weather!
John
Oli Hulme

Post by Oli Hulme »

Can you fit Strada electrics (rotor, coils, transducer pick up, loom etc) to a Kanga engine?
I've got all the above electrics and a Kanga engine, but it feels as though I may have jumped in a bit quickly...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Yes you can!