Combined charge/ignition

Maestro, SEI-V
Neadethal

Combined charge/ignition

Post by Neadethal »

:oops: My recenacquired 500 sport is missing its stator and rotor and whilst I haven't checked I'd guess the trigger unit off the camshaft.
I recently fitted an electrexworld combined generator and ignition to my ducati 350 single, andvits transformed, easy starting, nice tick over and smooth running
They do a universal kit

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin ... ml#SID=826

And I wondered if it could be the basis of a nice set up. I have access to people who can correct the taper if it's wrong but is it an issue triggering ignition off the crank rather than the camshaft. The Ducati unit has a trigger from a separately driven timing shaft which again might fit in the camshaft housing. Up for some experimentation. From what I've read crank triggered timing is more accurate than cam triggered as well.
Steve Brown

Re: Combined charge/ignition

Post by Steve Brown »

Not seen any ready made kits to do that yet. Yes a crank triggered spark would be more accurate and I think the way to achieve it would be with two separate pick-ups around the flywheel with a single trigger on the flywheel.
There were some cam mounted types tried with Boyer or Kirby Rowbotham type uints but they all had a wasted spark at the wrong time in the cycle (not just at TDC on the valve overlap period) this sometimes fired mixtures at bad moments and is supposed to have done some serious motor damage.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Showing my ignorance of MM, is the crank 180 degrees opposed? From photos it looks like a 360, so both at tdc together??
Have emailed electrexworld as well, be interesting to see if they rise to the challenge
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

72 degree vee, one crank pin. So neither a 180 or 360.

That is why a system for any other twin will not work.

You could see if you can buy a kokusan system. It is triggered from the crank. It was used on later engines. The alternator is worth having, too.