Electric Start 501 cable routing.

Maestro, SEI-V
Chips1953

Electric Start 501 cable routing.

Post by Chips1953 »

I am fitting my starter case now to the Camel 501 and as I don't have a Strada, or a bike of that
ilk to look at I was wondering if anybody could tell me:

On a Morini fitted 501 motor, how does the starter cable run out of the casing?

Does it go out of the rear above or below the drive sprocket?

Thanks.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Steve Brown

Re: Electric Start 501 cable routing.

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi George, glad to hear you are this far down the road with the job. Sorry I can't help with the question, but might the answer show up on one of Paul Comptons videos? I think there have been episodes showing cambelt changes and starter repairs, so might be visible on those?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Nothing that is definite Steve, thanks trying. I will persevere and find a solution. I have to mod both the brake lever and the master cylinder position so 'nay bother' as they say up here.
Thanks for your time Steve. I will be updating the project as I go along. One day she will be finished.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

See that notch at the back of the casing, more or less inline with the terminal?
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

But that´s the place of the clutch, isn´t it :roll:

norbert
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Back, not top!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
norbert

Post by norbert »

It´s an advantage to know how to read :oops: :lol: :wink:

norbert
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

See that notch at the back of the casing, more or less inline with the terminal? Got it!

Thanks Paul. The cable was just placed there to get a view of it.

I used your video to sort the gearbox. Most useful.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi gents. Newbie here. I have a 1981 500 sport. I am at the stage of getting the starter motor up and running. The previous owner obviously had a major problem with the starter as I have two cases. one fitted with the starter shown inside and another in a box. The second unfitted one has the notch for the cable at the rear but the one fitted to the bike when I got it does not. Can someone tell me which is correct for the bike please?

Unfortunately I cannot post pics Im getting error site error message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." ? file size is 506Kb
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The rotor should have the drive cup for the starter motor shoes? The casing with the starter will have that rearward notch to allow the starter motor power cable to exit. The casing you have without a notch may be a shallower casing from a pre- starter motor engine.
I run the power cable up the adjacent frame downtube with a couple of cable ties, then it is attached to a Bosch hi-current relay. This metal cased relay should have two mounting points each with a grommet.
My experience is that with a decent battery e.g. Odyssey PC680, a cleaned and rebuilt starter motor and it’s associated gearbox, the later type thicker bodied starter shoes, a relay that hasn’t welded its contacts shut and a cleaned out rotor cup the engine fires at the first touch of the button. Well that is a few things to get sorted.
John
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi Bigred, the earlier cover has a small cable notch at the rear and the later version has more metal removed in the same rear area plus a more restricted air vent arrangement at the front
The earlier version was fitted to the 81 500 sport
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

That just goes to show how many little changes there were.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Thanks for the great help. The spare one must be the later version and the one fitted must be the earlier correct one for my bike. Ive stripped the motor and that spins up nicely on the bench so I will clean up, grease the chain and reassemble. The bike was fitted with a plastic relay and there was a spare plastic relay but I will see if I can get a metal canned version as the thick wires will put a starin on a plastic mounting tab.