Tyres

Maestro, SEI-V
MickeyMoto

Tyres

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

I know Bridgestone BT45s and Avon RoadRiders fit and are trusted. Anybody tried Dunlop GT501s? Just wondering what they are like, as the write ups appear good.

I may need a new set of tyres before Dijon....

Thanks,

Mike.
EVguru

Re: Tyres

Post by EVguru »

Have you actually looked at the sizes available in the UK?

The closest they list for the front is a 100/90-18 and the recommended rim width is 2.5". That's wider than the rear rim on a Morini!

Even with the Avon Roadriders the recommended rim for the 90/90-18 is 2.15" with the 1.85" rim of the Morini being the narrowest fittment.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

er, nope. I thought a 100/90 would fit a Morini 500 rim regardless of manufacturer?

I think that the old Dunlop brochure recommended these tyres. Maybe I was wrong, but unfortunately Dunlop have removed the older Morinis from their webshite.

Looks like a pair of Road Riders, then, but after reading some not so complimentary reports of 'problems' with them I thought I'd go for something a bit different.

Mike.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

MickeyMoto wrote:er, nope. I thought a 100/90 would fit a Morini 500 rim regardless of manufacturer?
Fit, well yes, I imagine that it will go onto the rim (350 and 500 rims are the same size). That doesn't mean it's going to work well. Manufacturers are changing construction and sizes all the time and you can't just go by the numbers. That's why I looked at the recommended rim size for clues. A number of years ago I bought a low milleage K1 Sport wearing an original Pirelli 100/90 front tyre. That tyre was actually slightly narrower than the 90/90 Roadrunner I have on my 77 Sport now.
I think that the old Dunlop brochure recommended these tyres. Maybe I was wrong, but unfortunately Dunlop have removed the older Morinis from their webshite.
Many of the on-line listings are wrong. Morini listed a 3.50 rear tyre for the 500, whereas the 350 has a 4.10. The 350 tyre wasn't wider, it was lower profile! Quite a lot of manufacturers lists have the 350 wearing a 4.00 rear which is wider and taller. Fitting one to a 350 may result in the centre stand barely lifting the rear wheel clear of the ground.
Looks like a pair of Road Riders, then, but after reading some not so complimentary reports of 'problems' with them I thought I'd go for something a bit different.
At a quick glance many of the problems seem to be in North America and are associated with Brizillian made tyres. I don't think there's a tyre manufacturer in the world that hasn't had a problem batch at some time. All I know is that I've been very happy with Roadrunners and Roadriders seem to be an upgrade. Many are happy with BT45s too.
Paul Compton
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The Roadriders are cheaper as well... :)

Mike.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

From Dunlops 2011 listing (I knew that it'd come in useful);

Front - Arrowmax GT501F; 100/90 - 18 56V TL, pressure 2.0, product code 653368

Rear - Arrowmax GT501; 110/90 - 18 61H TL, pressure 2.2, product code 653348

Dunlop appear to recommend Arrowmax for all the air cooled road Vs except the Sport, where they suggest K82's front and rear. For the new twins they suggest Sportmax; the Corsaro has RoadSmart, SportSmart, Qualifier or GP Racer - take your pick :|

The Granpasso has either Trailmax TR91 or Sportmax RoadSmart.

Out of interest, they also list tyres for Velocette, Voxan and AJS...

What works best in the wet???? :wink:

CC

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I didn't think I was dreaming. I have TT100s (K81s) on at the moment and they are good. I just wanted to replace them with a more modern looking tyre. I have used TT100s in the past and like Dunlop tyres. I have also used Avons too, and they are good, as are BT45s...

Take your pick.....

Mike.
Morizzi

Post by Morizzi »

I don't like the Avons. Not a scratch on the BT45's in the wet. One compound and reversed from front to rear. As Paul has aluded to they are wider than the BT45's of the same description. BT45 rear is dual compound.

How many miles a year do you do?

If not many then get the softest and grippiest tyre you can get. I'd be thinking BT45's or Pirelli Sport Demons. Tyres only get harder with age. I like th BT45's. The front's cup about half life but they still stick. I've read good reports on the Pirellis but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I've tried the Avons and they have only caused me grief.

If you do a zillion miles a year and money is an issue then buy the softest grippiest tyre you can get. :P One small slide and all the money you have saved is gone.

I do about 40,000km a year and go through a number of tyres but mainly on Guzzis. Same tyre sizes though.

Recently had a down on a wet road. A kangaroo poked its head into view and I squeezed on a bit too much front brake. You can never tell which way a roo will go. The front, an Avon Road Rider, just let go. I was down and sliding before I knew it. I'm confident that a BT45 wouldn't of let me down that way.

I had a 501 on the front of a Guzzi 650. I went through some runoff that had slime in it. The 501 slipped sideways and gave me one of those palpitations. The BT45 on the rear never flinched. I got about 25,000km out of the 501.

Tyres are subjective. This is just my opinion from my experience.

Good luck but tyres are not the item to try and budget on.

Rod
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Rod,

Thnaks for your comments. Wet grip is certainly important here at the moment.....

Pricewise, the pecking order appears to be:

Continental
Avon
Dunlop
Bridgestone
Pirelli
Michelin

All available in the correct sizes. We are talking £40 difference for tyres that will last probably a year on the back and 2 on the front. So I think BT45s are the answer.

Mike.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I've always found my Roadrunners excellent in the wet.

Anyone else out on track in the last session (actually open pitlane, most people had gone home) at the last MRC track day can tell you that I was finding plenty of grip in the wet and it was standing water kind of wet.

As I was loading the bike up later on I noticed the slight cracking between the tread blocks and reflected that the tyres were around 7 yeard old and were well past their peak performance.

Riding the bike last night I noticed that the bike was upset by crossing white lines when overtaking, so fitting the RoadRiders I bought recently is a priority before the next track day.
Paul Compton
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

This threads quite old and the world of tyres has moved on.
I need a pair of tyres for my 500 sport, the hoops of ebony I removed were 90/90 x 18 and 120/90 x 18 but I'm suspicious the rear has some side chafing.

Can anyone recommend some decent modern stuff
norbert

Post by norbert »

I´m actualy delighted with Conti Road Attak (front) and Conti Classic Attak (rear). These are radial tyres!

As long as they were available I used Avon Roadrunner. When they disapeared Avon Roadrider (the Roadrunners were better for me), then I tried BT45 (best tyre till then, but much less km then the Avons), then tried Heidenau and at least the Conti Classick Attack.

For me the Conti is the best tyre I´ve ever spent with a Morini and they do last nearly the double of a BT45 (nerver tried BT46).
They are quite hard to put on an off, so be carefull if you have Borrani rims :wink:
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

Is everyone sticking with 110/80 or have others fitted 120/80?? Cheers.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Neadethal wrote: 15 Apr 2023 17:42 Is everyone sticking with 110/80 or have others fitted 120/80?? Cheers.
People don't usually fit a 110/80, it should be a 110/90.

The rims are already narrow for that size, going wider is going to be better.

It's often instructive to look up manufacturers recommended rim widths. Most will respond to an enquiry if they don't list the sizes online.
Paul Compton
Neadethal

Post by Neadethal »

My mistake thanks for the correction. I'll stick at 110.