500 Sport - Will not start when hot....

Maestro, SEI-V
Superlight748

500 Sport - Will not start when hot....

Post by Superlight748 »

Here’s the story………….

The bike was running fine before I did the following:

I re-built the starter motor and checked the kick start assembly, during the process I took the pick-up out of the housing along with the clutch etc.

Buttoned everything back up and that starter worked great, started right up, no bother. After I rode about 10 miles I stopped the bike, let it sit for a couple of minutes and tried to start it back up without any joy. Tried bump starting it, no joy.

Next day when cold it started no problem, checked the battery and the charging system, everything looked good, rode it closer to home this time, same problem, and wouldn’t start when hot.

Rolled it home getting some good exercise in the process……………………

Cleaned all the wiring connections from the transducers and charging system.

Checked both cylinders for spark, have spark on both.

Rode it again, same problem, wouldn’t start after it’s up to temperature, checked for spark, no spark at temperature.

So, the transducers seem to be O.K. when cold but are an issue when the bike is up to temperature, which now leads me to the electronic pick possibly being faulty when hot, not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Roy
MickeyMoto

Re: 500 Sport - Will not start when hot....

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

If no spark on both plugs then suspect the ignition winding in the generator. May be breaking down when hot.
demood

Re: 500 Sport - Will not start when hot....

Post by demood »

Hi Roy
I would be interested to know the answer to this problem because I have exactly the same issue with my Benelli sei.
Fine when cold but will not start when hot.
When I get around to looking at the problem the first things I will check out are the pick-ups and then the coils.
Chris