Kanguro X Front Wheel Wanted

Derek Wright

Kanguro X Front Wheel Wanted

Post by Derek Wright »

Standard front wheel with good 160 mm drum wanted for my 1983 model X Kanguro.

Have had a major problem with both back and front brakes. Bought the X in 2007 and fitted new Newfen shoes complete with linings to the back first and then a little later did the front. Did'nt think I had a problem other than noticing that adjustment had to be made more often than would seem normal. I put this down to the linings wearing fairly quickly. I was horrified when I removed the wheels and found that the drums had been completely wrecked.
I have done a reasonable mileage, 17K miles on the rear and 14k miles on the front, all on road only.
The drums are so badly scored they are unusable, the rear especially, the drum dia has increased by about 1.5 mm to the peaks of the scores, across the full width, the front has lost about 1mm and also deeply scored.
The linings are also very badly grooved and have surface tears but the thickness has not reduced that much.
It seems that I have been taking up adjustment to compensate for drum wear, never experienced this before in 40 years plus on British and German bikes.

Fortunately I had a spare Camel rear wheel with a good drum which is the same as the Kanguro.

I'm stuck with the front though, so need a wheel urgently as I like to keep the X on the road all year.

I've spoken to NLM and they have never heard of any problems of this nature, has anyone ever heard of such issues?
Obviously I'm not to keen to use the same type of linings. The lining manufacturer Newfren have a website, I have some photo's of the damage and intend to take this up with them to see if they can give any explanation.
peterc

Re: Kanguro X Front Wheel Wanted

Post by peterc »

Front wheel for a Kanguro on Germany e-bay for 89Euros at present, looks like its from a breaker who will ship to the UK if asked, not sure if its the right one for your bike though. You'll need to search on that specific e-bay site to find it. I've bought quite a few parts from German breakers this winter for a Honda I'm rebuilding & found the service really good & shipping costs fair.
Derek Wright

Re: Kanguro X Front Wheel Wanted

Post by Derek Wright »

Thanks Peter, will check ebay Germany and see what I can find, shippig a wheel might be expensive though.
Derek