First impressions

Anything to do with the 650 'off-road' bikes
MickeyMoto

First impressions

Post by MickeyMoto »

Took the Milano in for a service yesterday and whilst waiting took a ride on an X Cape.

The first impressions are favourable. A quick look around and it appears to be a well bolted together bike. A few little things like the clutch lever holder appears to be made of chinesium, and the span adjuster does not look to have the quality of the 1200s. As long as it does not break then no problem. I like the radiator header tank down low at the front of the engine with a sight tube. The oil level is checked by a glass in the crankcase. It has all the correct names: Akront, Bosch, Brembo, Mazzochi, KYB (Kayaba?).

Jumping onboard, the first thing is the side stand leaves the bike in a quite upright position. The seat is highish, but with my 1.72 meter lack of height I can reach the ground, just. The weight is definitely not 230 plus kilos. It feels a lot lighter. The handlebars fall readily to hand and the next thing to notice is the TV. The screen appears huge and has large figures for speed and revs, unlike the Milano. At my age, 6" numerals are best. As will be seen later, all is not as you think. The bike appears to be very thin, like the V Twins.

Stand up, ignition on, clutch in (lever fallen off yet) and press the button. The bike fires into life and sounds like, er, a Kawasaki GPZ500 / Z650 twin. Apparently it is a copy and built by CF Moto. Into gear, ah yes, like the 1200s a nice clunk. Away we go. In front there is a wind shield. At lowish speeds this is not a problem but I did find some turbulence at higher speeds (up to 60mph). The screen adjusts and is simple to do. Release knob, adjust, tighten knob. However, the screen started rattling, so I released the knob, pressed down a tad and tightened the knob and all was well.

The engine is flexible and pulls happily from 2k. In 30mph limits the bike will run happily in fourth or fifth and pull away smartly when the limit ends. The fuelling is well sorted, the exhaust note inoffensive. Anybody used to 70s/80s/90s Japanese parallel twins will feel at home. The fans cut in in traffic and the fans are quiet compared to the 1200s! The gearchange is good, I did not remember it giving any problems. The bike steers very well, and holds corners on it's semi trail tyres. I think they are Pirelli Scorpion Rally tyres. The seat is comfortable and the overall riding position is perfect for an aged old fart like me. One thing that amused me was the whistle when the throttle is released. I am still trying to place it, but it is anot unlike a turbo or even an Argosy aeroplane nicknamed the whistling tit (look it up).

Stopping for breakfast at a road side cafe I had a look around the bike. There is a nice rack with passenger grab handles, Day Rider Lights which you have to manually switch to the LED front lights and a good horn. Fully adjustable front suspension and rebound damping and preload on the rear, although the adjustment was by C spanner and looked a tad inconvenient. The suspension is not rising rate but a monoshock system. The plastic appears to fit very well and the front screen looks a tough piece of plastic, although it could do with being wider. The only down side I can see is the instrument screen. It does not show the ambient air temperature. There are Road and Off Road settings but they only change the screen as far as I can see. The choice of units are Imperial or Metric. Imperial gives the engine temperature in Fahrenheit. There are tyre pressure caps and the pressures can be seen on the move. The Speedo is large. There is connectivity and it looks like you would be able to connect a telephone for music and comms (why, getting down with de kidz?). The fuel guage is a row of bars. There is, apparently, a count down mileage when the fuel light comes on. There are two trip meters, too.

Overall, I found the bike to be very good. You can potter in high gears or give it a few revs for a bit of foolery. For motorway work a different screen would probably help, but I did not try it on a motorway or dual carriageway, so cannot comment. Standard heated grips and hand guards would be good and these along with engine bars and pannier frames and a full luggage set available as accessories.

Riding home on the Milano later on in the day and I immediately felt at home. There is a family resemblance, both bikes are riders machines and appear to have been designed for the rider in mind. Having had a Corsaro, a Scrambler, a Milano, two three narf Sports, a few Kanguros, a 500 Sport and a 501 Strada I can say the X Cape fits into the family perfectly.

I would recommend a test ride. This is a very good all round motorcycle that can be used for touring, commuting and pleasure trips and deserves to sell well. The tank is 18 litres and should give 180 plus miles between refills. Ah, luxury, says the Milano owner who carries a two litre jerry can in his panniers AT ALL TIMES. The price? £7,499. Anybody want to buy a 31/2 Sport? I believe the dealer network is growing, too, and that quite a few bikes have already been sold. Maybe some new, younger, members on the way.
Attachments
IMG_20220429_105149__1651343206_185.210.163.199.jpg
IMG_20220429_105149__1651343206_185.210.163.199.jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IMG_20220429_105137__1651343167_185.210.163.199.jpg
IMG_20220429_105137__1651343167_185.210.163.199.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
Trevor-3_1/2

X-Cape Impressions

Post by Trevor-3_1/2 »

Hi Mickey
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Some good info & clearly written.
Much appreciated Trevor
MickeyMoto

Re: First impressions

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thanks, Trevor. I didn't mention the brakes, but the bike stopped. They look the same as on the Scrambler. There is also a twin USB socket on the dash.

I have pondered what X-Cape means and found two examples...

https://www.x-cape.com

https://www.x-cape.org.uk
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Gold wheel version to mark the 85th anniversary I gather.
I feel a trip to sunny Bodmin coming on.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Will they take the Coguaro in PX? :)
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

What, now it is all sorted. I could not deny this option is not without merit. Either that or a properly running Sport or an equally properly running R75/7. Maybe the Qualcast ?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Good review Mike and your comments about the weight or it not being so noticeable are of interest too. Does it come with a centre stand and did you try it?
More importantly though, when did you last run an Argosy up? 1977 for me at RAF Halton. :D
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

No centre stand. C'mon, modern bikes have cats and huge exhausts, no room for practicalities!

Tubeless tyres, though, so that is good. Apparently, the switchgear is backlit. I also note that in the advertising blurb there is an external temperature shown, but it was not present on the bike I rode. The sensor must exist, why not display it?

I notice the throttle is cable controlled, not rheostat like most Euro 5 machines. Interesting, probably why there are no riding modes or cruise control.

I have never run up an Argosy. My brother went to Cottesmore in the 70s on an ATC summer camp and had a trip in one...
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

RAF Halton is where I made my earliest appearance.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

...and now a housing estate, like much MoD land. Good job we aren't being threatened by a bigger country.