wiring up project

The 3 1/2 forum
andyp

wiring up project

Post by andyp »

starting to wire up the strada, switched the ignition on [6 pole] indicators worked fine, horn , fine but nothing anywhere else. its a new ignition switch, all wiring is correctly positioned. when i tried the old ignition switch exactly the same situation. when tested, the terminals on the back of the ignition switch showed no power. can both switches be knackered in the same way. think i'm a bit out of my depth here but thought i'd have a go. am i missing something obvious or should i stick to knitting ?
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Andy

Not sure if you have seen the wiring diagram on the MRC website, link below:-

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/thebi ... 06pole.gif

Ifyou are getting indicators and horn to work that means there should be 12v showing on pin 1 of the ignition switch as this is the supply from the battery to the switch, and 12v on pin 2 as this takes the battery supply and redirects it to the fuses . I would also check for ground on pin 4. Then using the diagram just work around checking what voltages are present. It does sound unlikely that two switches are faulty with the same fault. Let us know what you find.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
andyp

Post by andyp »

Robin, thanks for the reply, yep, all was eventually well, its a new ignition switch and everything checked out ok, couldnt get a spark but i'm sure thats the pickup/transducers that are knackered, the bikes been off the road since 84, dismantled i think around 97 and stored badly so its a new ignition system from nlm, any information regarding the static timing would be appreciated. cheers and thanks again. Andy.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Andy

Regarding the static timing it involves rotating the engine until the ANT mark on the rotor is lined up with the mark on the crankcase. Then rotate the pick-up plate until the reference mark on the plate corresponds to the mark on the casing and the mark on the small rotor also lines up. Then it is best to check with a strobe light, assuming it runs of course.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'