Cylinder Torque values.

The 3 1/2 forum
john107

Cylinder Torque values.

Post by john107 »

Hi guys,
I've just had to replace a Base and Head gasket on my '76 Sport. Now, my mechanic tightened to specs as per the Blue Book and he asked me this question; "Is it still necessary to torque down the head gasket to 2.7kg/cm2 for half a hour to bed it in and then loosen it to 2.2kg/cm2, why not just leave it at 2.7, taking into considering the modern materials gaskets are made from, is this still relevant?" (I supplied him the Athena Gasket Kit). His background is British bikes where you Torque to spec, ride for 500 miles and re-check.

cheers John
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'60 Moto Morini Tresette 175
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
3potjohn

Re: Cylinder Torque values.

Post by 3potjohn »

I have not deviated from the instruction in the Blue Book on the three occasions where I have had the barrels off since 2007. This on my K1.
Others may have a different opinion.
I reused my head gaskets last time around though.
John
norbert

Post by norbert »

Normaly I reuse the gaskets several times as well.
In former times I checked the torque after 500 km. To save some work (taking off the rocker blocks etc.) lately I do the same: a bit more torque, leave it some hours and then the torque recomended.
john107

Post by john107 »

3potjohn wrote: 23 Jan 2024 13:33 I have not deviated from the instruction in the Blue Book on the three occasions where I have had the barrels off since 2007. This on my K1.
Others may have a different opinion.
I reused my head gaskets last time around though.
John
cheers John thanks for your input.
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
john107

Post by john107 »

norbert wrote: 23 Jan 2024 15:46 Normaly I reuse the gaskets several times as well.
In former times I checked the torque after 500 km. To save some work (taking off the rocker blocks etc.) lately I do the same: a bit more torque, leave it some hours and then the torque recomended.
Thanks norbert.
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

If we are talking about the type of gaskets that are predominantly fibre (with a thin strip of metal just around the key places), their thickness settles slowly after the initial torquing down. So benefit from re-torquing as per the book.
However if we are talking about the all metal aluminum gaskets, those are far less compressible, the thickness doesn't really settle much, so many people accept that a single torquing is fine for those.
Sure they can be checked at any major service when the rocker covers are already off :D
P.S. if you fit an OLD fibre base gasket with an aluminum head gasket treat it like all aluminum, but for a NEW fibre base gasket (even with aluminum head gasket) it could be wise to do the two stage torqueing routine as a new fibre one can compress.
Last edited by BumbleBee on 08 Feb 2024 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
norbert

Post by norbert »

That´s true.
Since decades I only use the all aluminium ones.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

If using aluminium gaskets and torquing only once do you follow the first of second figure? thanks - Duncan
dunk
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

If using all aluminum gaskets, most people go straight to the final value.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

Thank you - I think i have a base gasket weep at the minute that needs attention
dunk
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

dunk 1 wrote: 08 Feb 2024 07:34 Thank you - I think i have a base gasket weep at the minute that needs attention
Your choice of course but often base gasket weeps look worse than they actually are. If you aren't having to top the oil up all the time it probably is only a cosmetic problem. Happy riding :-)
P.S. if you have a new fibre base gasket (instead of aluminum both head and base) do the two stage torqueing routine. But old fibre base gaskets ok like aluminum as they have already compressed as much as they are going to.