Gas Tank vibration rubber isolators

The 3 1/2 forum
Bertram3143

Gas Tank vibration rubber isolators

Post by Bertram3143 »

Members: I am looking for replacement vibration damper grommets for 77/78 3 1/2 gas tank, that allow the mounting bolt to pass through. The part number based on Morini/ NLM parts catalog is 30.01.10. I tried MDINA they said they don't have it. Also Start Gomma doesn't show it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Clark Bertram
Fastmongrel

Re: Gas Tank vibration rubber isolators

Post by Fastmongrel »

Not sure which grommets you need but I have just ordered these for my BSA tank

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374647139422 ... media=COPY
1981 3 1/2 Strada
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The rubber items can be tricky if not the usual parts e.g. manifold rubber.
I have had to resort to going to the local yatch shop and getting keel support bocks and carving what I can from them. Not ideal though.
Martha

Post by Martha »

My planned solution, come the day of the requirement, will be to get rubber washers from our local fastener supplier (Wentin fasteners), cut them to size on id and od using a template and then glue them together as a stack to get the correct thickness. Do you have the central steel bush that prevents the rubber from being compressed? If not you will need to make one - let me know if you need to know the size as my tank is off the bike at the moment. The bolts are M7x1.0mm, 25mm long, NOT M6! Incidentally, the rubber washers Wentin sell also work well on the seat and side panel knobs.

The foam blocks that sit on the frame spine can be got from RGM Norton (part no 063204C); I used two along the spine so that the fuel load is better distributed. RGM also do part RTM1 which are the correct size to sit on the outer frame tubes at the rear corners of the tank to stop it rocking. They look the same as those that have been recommended on here before but which can be difficult to find. Mdina do the rubber bands that hold the rear of the tank down, though I have also sourced o rings of a slightly better size from ebay.