Cast wheel colour id

The 3 1/2 forum
Martha

Cast wheel colour id

Post by Martha »

I have just had my '78 Strada wheels stripped and powder coated and as I had spent some time trying to pinpoint the likely original colour possibilities, I thought it may be helpful to post the results on here.
I found two references for the wheel colour; the first was from Sorensen's website, showing a wheel in RAL7040 and the other (from a source I failed to record) which quoted RAL7035. Neither looked quite the same as the original paint on my wheels so, recognising different paint manufacturers paints to the same specification can vary somewhat, the powder coat company I used spectrally analysed the (probably original) paint on the inside of the rim on my wheels (under the tyre). They came up with the result that it was RAL7036, so on the strength of that I went ahead with this colour. It has proved to be a very good match for the photos I took of the wheel rim under the tyre prior to them being stripped etc. It is very slightly darker and more 'blue' than the RAL7040 wheel shown on Sorensen's site, but allowing for colour reproduction effects I would consider it to be very similar.
Intrestingly, the powder coaters were emphatic that RAL7035 from their supplier was very much lighter and more 'yellow' than any of the photos I could show them of typical wheel colours, which highlights again the possible differences in pigmentation from different suppliers to the same RAL number! They advised that a spectral analysis related to their own supplier's paint codes was the best way to obtain a match, advice that has been recorded in the forum a number of times!
3potjohn

Re: Cast wheel colour id

Post by 3potjohn »

I used RAL1036 for my gold rear wheel. If they had removed all traces of blast material it would be a good job.Do not mention disc mounting bolt holes.
My sprocket carrier bearing had broken up too.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Sounds as though you had a less than perfect experience... My wheels and sprocket carrier hub were completely stripped as I was putting a new chain and sprockets on...As with many jobs, one thing led to another and before I knew where I had got to the wheels were being done!
I used AC Powder Coaters in Yeovil, they have always done a good job on the parts I have had done over the years.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I thought the idea of RAL codes was that there should be no variation of colours. Or is that the ideal but money gets in the way
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Based on the likelihood that any gold would have done for Grimeca (as well as any red for Moto Morini) I plumbed for "Spanish Gold". RAL-schmal.

Mine were so faded they looked "nappy tan" beforehand but - as you can see - they looked fantastic when finished.

MRC 3082½