2 components in electronic regulator/rectifier

The 3 1/2 forum
350-v-twin

2 components in electronic regulator/rectifier

Post by 350-v-twin »

Hi,
A question: in the "early" regulators/rectifiers there are 2 round, metal electronic components pushed into the back of the metal box.
On this picture you can see them on the very rhs of the metal box.

This way they get sufficient cooling. In the past I found out these 2 components are PS620 (0.5 Amp). Searching the internet I did not find any reference. Does anybody know if these components are still available? What are they? Transistors, thyristors, something else? If no longer available, what would be a similar, replacement item?
MickeyMoto

Re: 2 components in electronic regulator/rectifier

Post by MickeyMoto »

My guess would be diodes if connected to the yellow wires from the alternator.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,
they are indeed thyristors and have been unobtainable as new stock for a very long time, I don't recall the part number but i I have a paper data sheet at home. They were likely made by International Rectifier and the package was colloquially known as "hockey puck". However a modern replacement I would say 25A rated using a different case is available and can be fitted inside the box.

I can check the parts for you if you need,
the circuit diagram etc is on the NL website here https://www.motomoriniclub.nl/tech.html scroll to the bottom, and how to use modern SCR.

note: replacement regulators are available a low cost (see many threads on this forum about that).

Mark
Bsc Elec Eng
350-v-twin

Post by 350-v-twin »

Thanks guys, I don't need these parts right now. Just wondered what they are etc.

Thanks for the information!