Strada/kanguro Hybrid

The 3 1/2 forum
Oli Hulme

Strada/kanguro Hybrid

Post by Oli Hulme »

In the middle of my Strada rebuild I've bought a Kanguro engine for a very reasonable price (someone had tried to put it in a hardtail chopper frame and given up). It was a quick decision and I didn't do my homework. But i would have bought it anyway as a source of spares...
Anyway I now have two and a half engines.
Does the early Kanguro have that 6v/12v system, and can I simply swap the rotor and ignition pick up from my box of spare Strada bits, and turn it into a 12v Strada /Sport engine? Is the ignition timing going to be mucked up? How can I tell if the Kanga engine is a 12v/6v or a later 12v? I can't see an electric start on it, so Im guessing it's an early 6v battery model.
The front head has been welded up for exhaust studs after some thread butchery, and I was going to use my spare head, but I now see it might have a different head/valve sizes? Is that likely?

Or should I just flog the Kanga engine and spend the time and money on the proper Strada mill? I was hoping it would be a short cut, but in retrospect I may be horribly wrong...
Steve Brown

Re: Strada/kanguro Hybrid

Post by Steve Brown »

The flywheels and stators are interchangeable so an easy swap. If the Kanga motor is a 6/12 volt type, the stator wires should give it away. They would have a grey wire a yellow and maybe a white lead along with the green for the ignition feed.
It i was from a 12v/elec start version the leads will be similar to your strada and the flywheel cover is much wider plus a dish rivetted to the flywheel-that may have been cut off so look for marks of DIY there.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Oli Hulme

Post by Oli Hulme »

That's brilliant news, thanks. There's no dish on the rotor, and no case, but I've a spare one of those. Thanks again Steve!
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I can't answer your questions but I do have a '76 strata with an X1 engine fitted. Only significant difference is electronic rev counter rather than the original mechanical one.

Engine doesn't have electric start and is a 12v system.