CDI mal function ?

The 3 1/2 forum
Michael S

CDI mal function ?

Post by Michael S »

I ultrasonically cleaned my carbs and every thing seemed good but now I cannot balance the carbs.
The bike cruises ok but is rough around the first part of the the throttle opening and seems to go intermittently onto one cylinder. Tick over sometimes happens; mostly not at traffic lights although it is steady at start up.
The intermittent nature of the problem leads me to believe that the Spark producer is being temperamental
Is this rational?
What are my options?
The electrics are two black blocks on an aluminium plate with spark plug leads out of the bottom of each block. Photo available
All advice is very welcome

Michael Scott
Steve Brown

Re: CDI mal function ?

Post by Steve Brown »

If it was running ok before I wouldn't expect the ignition to fail just like that. Have you accidently disturbed any of the wiring when the tank was off? Are the balance points for the carbs connected or leaking air-damaged rubber pipe etc or if blocked off are the bungs intact?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Hi Steve
Thanks for the rapid response
I have a multi-meter and will be starting that game this afternoon.
I have also ordered new plug lead cable from Mdina. Happily for me, Doug has suitable new/old stock coils in stock if they are needed.
I would like a circuit diagram of the complete ignition system. Where might I get one?
Would the ignition system react badly if some un-named idiot put the battery in the wrong way round?
Regards
Michael
Ming

Post by Ming »

Look on the Dutch club site for the diagram. Any exposure to battery volts is a no no. Check all your earth points as well.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Thanks Ming
Do you mean that the battery does not affect the ignition components?
Could you be help me by giving me a url for the Dutch web site where the CDI drawings reside please?
Like the majority of the english I am bad with other languages.
Best regards
Michael
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Two black blocks on an aluminium plate sounds like a non standard ignition to be honest. All bets are off until the type of ignition is confirmed.
Ming

Post by Ming »

If you connect the battery into the CDI circuit, you will probably fry the system. It is powered entirely by the "magneto" coil on the stator.
The Dutch Moto Morini Club's site can be easily found on the internet - but it's https://motomoriniclub.nl/
You may also be able to identify what "Black Boxes" you have from information on that site.
Mind you, most of it is also available on this forum, or in the Members Area, if you have a look.
Michael S

Post by Michael S »

Many thanks to one and all correspondents. I just love active Forums
The good news is that I am back to riding in local VMCC ride-outs.
Easy one kick starting now. Even with left leg while astride the bike!! A first for me
The carb problems were indeed electric problems as the old wife's tale goes.
Just waiting for a promised spring that retains the starter motor brushes and then I will be Electrified again as well
Michael