Carb balancing questions

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

Carb balancing questions

Post by Fastmongrel »

My 81 Strada is ticking over a bit lumpily so I thought time to get the carb balancing kit out

My problem where are the holes to fit the vacuum pipes. I can see a moulding on the intake rubber where I would expect to find vacuum fittings but it's solid rubber there is no cap or plug.

Do I have to drill a hole through the moulding or is there vacuum take offs somewhere else probably behind the rear wheel spindle I am used to Japanese multis and Italy seems to do everything arse about face.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
72degrees

Re: Carb balancing questions

Post by 72degrees »

The pattern replacement intakes don't come with a connection hole. The first set that I got from Contact Developments years ago with a set of PHPBB28s came with holes and natty blanking plugs.

On the 375/2C currently I just drilled holes and use small stainless set screws to blank them.

My Morgan carbtune came with appropriate adapters to push/screw in to the holes when balancing.

It depends if you have BS or HS VHB carbs though see:

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/forum ... .php?t=262
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

The carbs are connected with a pipe which has a vacuum could I just remove the pipe and attach the balancer pipes.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

A vacuum pipe which links the two carbs?

If so - yes, as they are probably 'HS' type.

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/forum ... 1044#p1044
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Thanks for the link I have read through it and it makes sense now. I will use the connecting pipe to attach the vacuum gauge.

I still half expect to find the throttle balance screw behind the rev counter 🤣
1981 3 1/2 Strada