Strada single disc alternative master cylinders

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

Strada single disc alternative master cylinders

Post by Fastmongrel »

I am thinking of upgrading the front brake of my 1981 3 1/2 Strada. It's a single disc Grimeca setup I want to fit a braided hose and a new master cylinder.

I have read several posts saying that the Suzuki GS125 12.7mm (1/2") m/cylinder is a direct swap. I have spotted new pattern ones for sale on fleabay but before I put in an order are there any other types of m/cylinder I can look for. I vaguely remember Yamaha used a 12.7mm on some of their bikes.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
simonnorthroad

Re: Strada single disc alternative master cylinders

Post by simonnorthroad »

I know Jim at Bikecare who does a lot of work on Morinis uses Italian modern moped m/cyls, off Gilera Runners (I believe) and the like. The banjo-bolt will be the same, M10 x 1.0mm so no need to buy a Japanese compatible banjo bolt
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

simonnorthroad wrote: 05 Jan 2023 16:41 I know Jim at Bikecare who does a lot of work on Morinis uses Italian modern moped m/cyls, off Gilera Runners (I believe) and the like. The banjo-bolt will be the same, M10 x 1.0mm so no need to buy a Japanese compatible banjo bolt
Thanks that's a good pointer. It would be nice to keep it all Italian.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Jim at Bikecare did the master cylinder on my '77 Strada earlier this year. I can't recall which one he used and can't find the paperwork at the moment either. (The joys of a good tidy up) Give him a call, I'm sure he will remember.
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Had a quick Google and all the Gilera Runner m/cylinders for sale look really scabby with the paint peeling off. Looks like they are prone to leaking. The ones without peeling paint are covered in road rash.

A new pattern GS125 jobby is looking like the favourite at the moment unless anyone comes up with an alternative.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Is Bikecare based at 55 Richmond road Bristol it's the only one I can find.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
norbert

Post by norbert »

I guess a 13mm pump is the thing to go for a single disc, for a doubledisc it´s a bit tricky :roll: :wink: :lol:
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I installed a new-old-stock 11 mm Grimeca master cylinder meant for an MZ 250 on my '77 Strada. With the stainless braided lines, it gives great feel and power.
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Fastmongrel wrote: 05 Jan 2023 17:58 Is Bikecare based at 55 Richmond road Bristol it's the only one I can find.
Yes, that's the one. Jim does only work part time nowadays although the place is open usual times as they are an MOT station etc. Advert in ATG
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have bought a Chinese gs125 m/cylinder for the grand total of £13.99 off fleabay. I am not expecting Brembo quality and I doubt I could get service parts but at that price if it doesn't work I am not really out of pocket.

Going to order a braided hose kit, caliper seals and pads as well I expect tarmac wrinkling tyre squealing brake power.

Or not 😹
1981 3 1/2 Strada