Throttle cable lengths

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Throttle cable lengths

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello All

I recently bought a pair of short and the long cables for my '77 Strada from Mdina. Unfortunately, there is a 3mm approx shortfall in differential between the length of the inner and outer cables - the existing cables are actually ok but they are the 45 year old originals so I thought replacement would be sensible. I've measured the old against the new and 3mm approx is the difference. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and found a simple solution. My plan is to take the cables to a local "cable engineer/maker" and ask him to replace the inner cables with ones 3mm longer

I wonder if I'm missing something. Any help greatly appreciated

Martin
mbmm350s

Re: Throttle cable lengths

Post by mbmm350s »

Martin,

Assume you mean the inner is too short.
Are the carb top adjuster screwed all the way down?

Is the throttle assembly standard Verlicchi?

Mark
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Hi Mark

That's yes to all three - inners are too short, adjusters are fully down to effectively shorten the outers as far as possible and yes its the Verlicchi throttle assembly on the handlebars

Martin
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Send them back as not fit for purpose. Unless Venhill know they won't correct it.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi David,

Sadly I think Mike is right, send them back along with measurements of your perfectly good ones.
Are they packaged Venhill?

Mark
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Venhill parts will have the name in white on the outers.
Ive used Venhill for 30 years and even after a moan to the MD and giving measurements to the Foreman bloke I was passed on to, they seem unable to make 2 cables the same
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I've never received a Venhill cable that was correct! The throttle cables I bought two years ago for my Strada had an inner wire 10 mm too short. And yes, Verlicchi throttle, adjusters all the way in. I had Barnett Cable in California duplicate my original throttle cables and they fit perfectly.

Previously I had bought a clutch cable for my K2 - 20 mm too long. Made a spacer for on the cable to take up the slack.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I had to shorten a throttle cable inner on a bike with one of those horrid cable splitters and discovered the hard way that the nipple was made not of brass but of solder. I now buy cable parts from Venhill and made my own clutch cables for three bikes. I have not made a throttle cable yet though. I have a home made bird nest tool and use tinman’s solder in a pot.
They should be correct from new of course.
norbert

Post by norbert »

The throttle cables are easily home-made. Buy a standard throttle cable with the nipple for the carb and use a screw nipple (diameter 5 and 7 long) for the verlicchi twist grip. That´s how I have it in my bikes for decades without any problem. Theses small screw nipples should be with the tool kit on any bike :wink:
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

I can't see any markings stating "Venhill". I bought them from Mdina Italia. I'll get some new inners. Many thanks for all your responses

Martin
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

Buy some cable and do it yourself! Search "Oxford Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Trigger Gear Inner Wire & Outer Cable Black" on eBay. These cables are perfect! A brass barrel bolt from the hardware store can be cut down to make nice twist grip nipples. For the carburetor nipples I used some old idle jets. Silver solder and a butane soldering iron and away you go!

'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, just shorten the outer cables by 3mm?

Pull back the ferrule, cut back the plastic to reveal the metal which can be cut off carefully with wire cutters or a Dremel without disturbing the inner cable
Then file/clean it all up and slide back the ferrule

In my British bike days I used to buy the nearest length outer cables (too short inner) with the right nipples and the do the above

Have also used bicycle cables to make throttle cables but they never lasted as long as the right thing; plus many modern bicycle cables now use thinner stainless wire

Venhill supply DIY cable kits as do ORO2
I've been using their kits and cable parts for years to make Morini throttle, brake and clutch cables

Trust this might help
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

1981 3 1/2 Strada
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Very helpful replies thanks to all