clutch sticks

The 3 1/2 forum
tomtom

clutch sticks

Post by tomtom »

Hi everybody,
I have a problem with the clutch of my Morini3&1/2.
the last rod before the clutch lever wear out really quickly ( i just replaced it last week and it's back again)
The result is that it shortens really quickly and in the end I cannot register the clutch anymore ( lever against carter) it looks like all the rods turn with the clutch and this wear them out...javascript:emoticon(':cry:')
anybody has an idea why is it so an what is the solution
thanks a lotjavascript:emoticon(':roll:')
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

I have not checked the clutch pushrod on my morini yet ( 84 Kanguro) but when I rode it home when I bought it, after about 20 mins the clutch began to drag. Normally the ends of any sort of pushrod should have had a heat treatment that hardens them. This will make them wear less under the pressure and twisting force they are subjected to. Does anyone have any experience of the Morini clutch pushrods in this respect. I am tempted with mine, after checking the rod has not worn behind specs, to heat the ends to cherry red colour with a blow torch and the quench (cool down) in oil, this will in effect harden the metal.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Steve Scott

Morini clutch assembly

Post by Steve Scott »

I recall a hardened bearing ball somewhere in there to take the strain of pressing the pressure plate while it's spinning. Is it missing in yours? I don't recall exactly where it went but in between the two pushrods would be a good place.
1979 500 Sport