Grimeca front caliper

The 3 1/2 forum
baileymc

Grimeca front caliper

Post by baileymc »

Can any one offer advice on reconditioning a 1979 Grimeca front caliper? I have renewed the seals etc and the pistons pushed into place easily. Unfortunately, they have now seized into position and won't budge in or out! How can I remove them without causing damage? :?
SupermotoDave

Post by SupermotoDave »

Can they be shifted by connecting up the master cylinder, filling it and pumping as per using it or is the caliper in 2 parts? if so then reassembling and doing so might still be easiest.
If they are split then one way that is often suggested is to use a footpump with one of those tapered adaptors for filling airbeds and jam that into the "oilway" so you can pump it out pneumatically rather than hydraulically.
baileymc

Tight seals in front caliper

Post by baileymc »

Many thanks. I'll give it a go. The Caliper was dismantled into 2 halves so I could remove the pistons and lubricate the new seals with a smear of brake fluid. I guess I was foolish in rushing the job in the first place and now everything has locked solid! Serves me right for trying to fix something that was working pretty well in the first place. :cry:

brakes

Post by Guest »

gimme a call for new caliper if you need 1
Dave