Carb Float Removal

The 3 1/2 forum
Gruff

Carb Float Removal

Post by Gruff »

Hi I have stripped my carbs (VHBZ 25 HS) for cleaning and want to remove the floats. Does the pin holding the floats unscrew or just pull straight out, I have had a quick tug but dont want to damage the pin. Please help

Regards

gareth
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Gareth

It should just tap out, on mine I gripped the end of the pin with some long nose pliers and then gently tapped the pliers body until the pin came out.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

Yep that worked, thanks Robin.
I have stripped the carbs ok but some of the gaskets and seals are a bit tired, where is the best (cheapest) place to get them. Thanks
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Gareth

If you mean the float bowl o-ring, if you are very careful you can get away with a very light smear of silicon sealant. You must use only a light smear otherwise the silicon can squish inside and stop the float moving. Not that it has happened to me, some bloke told me in a pub honest ;)

Regards

Robin
George 350

Silicon and carbs

Post by George 350 »

Please! NEVER use silicon sealant on carburettors, or anywhere else that comes into contact with petrol. Petrol will attack it, little bits then break off and either block up your jets or have an amazing tendency to find their way into the small drillings within the carb body, or both. Use new o-rings and gaskets - they are only pence each, and you shouldn't have problems. If you do, then your carbs are probably knackered.

NLM and Contact Developments (Dell Orto importer/concessionaire) sell carb rebuild gasket sets.

George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi

George is right of course, silicon sealant turns to a nasty gooey mess, for silicon in my post please read as hylomar which is petrol resistant. Again a thin film can get you out of trouble, a new o-ring is always better, but if you have'nt got one late on a Sunday getting the bike ready for the next week of running it can get you out of trouble.

Regards

Robin
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

Thanks Robin, George; I need to order some stuff from NLM anyway so I will stick the carb kit on the list.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Dell Orto UK are very helpful and their prices are very good. Buy service kits from them and, while you're at it, if you have the old black floats buy the new white precision cast floats. These solved a long standing problem with starting my Sport.