oil on clutch plates

The 3 1/2 forum
Gruff

oil on clutch plates

Post by Gruff »

I am putting my morini back together after an engine rebuild and the clutch plates had been contaminated with some oil, as the clutch worked ok before is it possible to clean the clutch, and if so what with?

Gareth
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I guess worth trying to blast the oil out with carb cleaner spray or petrol. if you go for the former mind you aim away from any painted bits.
Anyone risked using a dishwasher, normally reserved for cleaning engine cases/cylinder heads etc?
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Gareth

I did not have oil on mine, but years of neglect and aerosol brake cleaner worked fine. Spray on and wipe off, repeat for heavy deposits.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Gruff

Post by Gruff »

Thanks Guys, I hope to have a go on sunday. :)
eekzoids

clutch plates

Post by eekzoids »

Asbestos! Well they are still made of some kind of asbestos based compound as far as I know so bear that in mind. I.e don't breath any dust from it!

Cleaning the plates in petrol usually works for me. If there is oil in the clutch thought it might mean that the clutch oil seal is leaking. I had this recently and had to replace the seals. Not a very difficult job but fairly involved.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I guess worth trying to blast the oil out with carb cleaner spray or petrol.
NO, NO, NO!

NEVER use petrol as a cleaning solvent. It was a bad enough practice years back, but with todays formulations it can be very dangerous. It's horribly toxic and can cause quite serious chemical burns if left on the skin.

Besides it will leave an oily film behind.

Why not use:

BRAKE AND CLUTCH CLEANER?
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
eekzoids

clutch plates

Post by eekzoids »

I wasn't implying that the petrol should go anywhere near your skin. its fair comment thought, and it is of course dangerous fire hazard.