3 1/2 strada steering bearings and clutch

The 3 1/2 forum
Norton

3 1/2 strada steering bearings and clutch

Post by Norton »

Hi I have a 3 1/2 strada and the steering head bearings were nothchy; is it possible/worth it to replace with taper roller bearings? Having trouble removing racers from frame is there any easy way to do this?
Also having read the article on this website about shimming the clutch it appears that i need to shim mine. Does anyone know where to get suitable shims or is it ok not to use any shims?

Thank you

Norton
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Norton

My '84 Kanguro has taper rollers in the steering head, not sure if they were standard then, the bearing id is a SKF 639174. I have seen details on conversion kits posted occassionally as with all these things best contact NLM. Regarding remove races from frame, mine had a cup holding the race. First stage was to locate to small holes and use suitable size drift to get race out, then use soft face mallet to persuade cup out from frame.
Clutch shimming, I shimmed my clutch and due to lack of time found that shims from a Mini Cooper ball joint fitted perfectly ( had just been helping my son restore his 92 Cooper), although again I understand clutch shims available from NLM.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The Kanguaro uses taper roller bearings to support the loads inherant in off road use. They can be difficult to set up right and are intolerant of imperfect allignment. Many modern motorcycles are going back to cup and cone.

More often than not, the races aren't to bad (better than they look) and it's the balls that have distorted. At 88p per set, that's what you should try first.

To get the races out you need the bigest drift that will fit through the centre.

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

Seriously, you're better off with a 2 1/2lb club hammer than an ordinary ballpein. Work from all sides so the race comes out easily.

Try swapping the races top for bottom, since it's the lower one that takes all the load.

They can be reground, either professionally, or by using a Dremmel type tool in a lathe. Enlist the help of a local model engineering club if you need to.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
bimsb6

Post by bimsb6 »

what part of luton are you in paul ? i live in tebworth .surprised i don't know you .
Norton

Post by Norton »

Hi Paul and Robin

Thankyou for your speedy replies. I will try and get the racers out tonight and hopefully suceed. Hopefully i will be able to go to NLM later in the week. Will post a reply on sucess.

Cheers

Norton