Air filter advice

The 3 1/2 forum
robinh44

Air filter advice

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice from anyone who has taken off the stock airbox and used individual filters, any tips and suggestions very welcome, fitting the stock airbox is not an option due to extensive mods resulting in no space for it.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
Steve Scott

Air filters

Post by Steve Scott »

My Morini came with individual K+Ns so that's how I ran it. After the second set of rubber intakes split I went back to the original airbox because it supports the far end of the carburetor and I haven't split a manifold in about 10 years. So, if you run individual filters make sure to fabricate something to hold the carbs up.
1979 500 Sport
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Steve

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at k&n's website today particularly how their filters deal with turbulent air. How did your bike run on the k&n's compared to the standard airbox?, I also realise I will need to support the carbs to save the rubber inlet. I bought a set of carbs complete with rubber inlets, both of which are split!. Suprising as the rubber is quite thick where it splits.

Regards

Robin
moriniuk

Post by moriniuk »

I use individual RAM AIR foam filters. I use a convoluted hose as supplied by ÑLM which they sell for 500cc bikes. It´s not a Morini part. I cut the back part off which would normally connect to the underside if the airbox. Then I used a short piece of 40mm plastic drainage pipe to connect the filter to the hose. The filter is then held up underneathe
the tank using cable ties and wire. This way you get a free flow of fairly still, filtered air through a fairly long intake stack.
I´ve never had anything fall off or split in four full seasons of racing and numerous trackdays, and I won two road race championships using this set up.
Or you could just put the filters directly onto the carbs which I also tried and the bike ran perfectly well, but you´ll still need the cable ties and wire to support the carbs.
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I will have to mount on the carb as I have used up all the space under the tank as I fabricated a battery box that lives under the tank along with the transducers. I looked at the ramair filters and they seem a quality product, currently weighing up pro's and con's of foam vs cotton gauze type. I will need a waterproof filter with ability to calm down turbulent air as the filters will sit on the carbs and be exposed to the elements. I think currently I am leaning more towards a pair of k&n's.

Regards

Robin
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Having weighed up the pro's & con's decided on the k&n's in the straight configuration. The ramair look good but probably benefit from being mounted in a sheltered location, mine will have to live out in the breeze. I will report back with how they perform. Have already raised jetting from 90 with stock airbox to 98 with previous foam filters, now have a 108 in for initial run with k&n.

Robin
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I think you're running too lean.

The Kanuguaro engine is pretty much Strada spec but with a slightly hotter ('E' ?) cam and higher compression. A Strada runs a 112 main jet as standard, while the Sport runs a 115.

The Dart uses the same airbox as Kanguaro and Excalibur. Standard jet is 92, but just taking the 'flower pot' off the air filter means you need to run about a 110.

If there's any way you can run an airbox of some kind do so. It's not so much that you're running in turbulent air, but that each carb is drawing air at a different turbulence and local pressure.

On my Valentini project I'm considering making a fibreglass plenum that sits between the two carbs and draws air from behind the engine where the tool tray used to be. It would be like a low profile Kanguaro airbox with a remote filter.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Steve Scott

Post by Steve Scott »

I did have to jet up considerably to run the K+Ns and had to raise the needles as well, but the bike felt much quicker than with the stock airbox and air filters.
1979 500 Sport
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

My Sport feels quicker than my Dart.

It's not.

Trust the stopwatch, not your feelings, they're too easy to fool.

Even a dynamometer can give you a false reading. There are very few that operate inside a wind tunnel.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Steve

Thanks for the additional info. I shold get my k&n's by the weekend.

Paul

What you say about the airbox makes sense, I do have a 118 main jet I could try and there is some space between the carbs to make an airbox of sorts to equalise the air feed. What experience have you had of filters fitted directly to the carbs on Morini's?

Regards

Robin