Lafranconi Competitzione Reservato

The 3 1/2 forum
boris tarpit

Lafranconi Competitzione Reservato

Post by boris tarpit »

Has anyone any ideas how I get my bike to run properly with the above silencers fitted??The bolide in question is a '83 250 2c chassis with a K2 sport motor with 501 pistons,heads and carbs,everything ported,lightened and balanced.It had a bodged on 2 into 1 when I got it and ran fine (wheelies on the throttle!!)The 2 into 1 was rotten so I bought the Lafranconis and made a 2 into 2 with 40 inches of 27mm tube,no balance pipe,now its acting very strange as it goes on to the needle jet and there's a no pull at high revs.Main jet was 125,I drilled it out to 1.4mm (next size up in my pecision drill set) and it made things a little better but it still doesn't 'sing' at high revs.1.5mm makes it bog down and stutter like someone put the choke on.

The Lafranconis look beautiful and the exhaust note is pure music but the sodding thing won't run properly.. . .Help!!!

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Well, first a couple of questions.

How have the 501 pistons been fitted, since they use a different gudgeon pin diameter.

Are you running them in iron bores?

What cam are you using.

Where did you find a pair of Comp. Lafranconis (I need to repair or replace mine).

You've got such an oddball setup, you're going to struggle to sort it without a gas analyser.

You could be having all sorts of tuned length issues mucking up the mixture.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

Mr Compton!I was looking for you this morning I remembered seeing a 3 1/2 with competition silencers and couldn't for the life of me remember where.

In answer to your questions. . . er. . .don't know.The bike came with a big stack of receipts for the work done and parts.I don't want to disturb the motor just to have a look.They are most definatly 501 heads,the barrells look like standard 350 to me so they must have iron liners unless they're shortened 501.The cam is the K2 sport cam.. . . I think.I'll get the degree disc on it some time soon.

The motor doesn't rattle or smoke new gaskets appear to have been used and the porting and polishing looks reasonably neat - it looks to have been built by someone who knew what they were doing.

The Lafranconis were on Italian ebay.They weren't cheap but they are brand new.I've a genuine Lafranconi chrome silencer (VGC) if that's of interest to anyone.

I've just been out to my not-so-local bike shop for some jets.The only ones they had were 120.I screwed them in outside the shop and. . . . . THE BIKE RUNS PERFECTLY!!. Is the wind blowing up from Bologna today or something??Honestly the thing revs like a 2 stroke.The silencer on the 2:1 looked quite restrictive;it was a Lafranconi M48 so I thought when the bike was playing up it must berunning weak - the competiziones don't have so much in the way of baffles. . .

Anyroad I shall be at the track day so I look forward to meeting y'all.

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.