Steering Damper

The 3 1/2 forum
fredfrenzy

Steering Damper

Post by fredfrenzy »

I am just finishing up my frame-up restore of a '74 3 1/2 sport and was looking at what I assume is the original Orlandi steering damper. It's action is pretty bad, so I attempted to take it apart to see if it is rebuildable. So far no luck in getting it apart.

Are these rebuildable and anyone have any hints about getting it apart. Or has someone found a suitable replacement with a period look? I've seen guzzi and ducati single dampers that look similar.

thanks barry
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Andrew Essex

Post by Andrew Essex »

The bike doesn't need the damper it's only for show. I took mine off and have it sitting in a box in the garage. NLM in the UK may be able to help you with a replacment or even a service kit.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I've actually drilled a small hole in the bottom of the damper before now to remove all the fluid. That way you can have it fitted, but not ruin the low speed steering. I just run my 77 Sport without one.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
fredfrenzy

Post by fredfrenzy »

Andrew Essex wrote:The bike doesn't need the damper it's only for show. I took mine off and have it sitting in a box in the garage. NLM in the UK may be able to help you with a replacment or even a service kit.
Andrew, a couple of morini owners I have talked to here in the SF bay area indicated that they though the damper was a good thing to have for aggressive riding in the Santa Cruz mountain twisties - I'm not quite on the road yet so I may have to wait to try for myself.

barry
fredfrenzy

Post by fredfrenzy »

EVguru wrote:I've actually drilled a small hole in the bottom of the damper before now to remove all the fluid. That way you can have it fitted, but not ruin the low speed steering. I just run my 77 Sport without one.
If it's only for show - then this is a great idea...I am trying to keep the bike pretty original, but a rider not a garage queen.

barry
Andrew Essex

Post by Andrew Essex »

I've not tried the roads you mention, but a recent track outing on mine rideing as hard as I konw how didn't cause me to regret removing the damper :D

I hope you enjoy the bike when you are on the road as much as I do.