Strange sound from my 3 1/2

The 3 1/2 forum
d907ie

Strange sound from my 3 1/2

Post by d907ie »

Two years ago I took the bike off the road and onto my workbench to redo most cosmetics, etc. Finished what I wanted to accomplish and kicked her over. No problem starting and running, nor going thru the gears. Problem comes from a rpm related high whinning noise definately coming from below. Thought it might just be the dry clutch from lack of use, but not sure. It is mostly all the time. Once in a while it would be quiet when clutch lever in (like throw-out bearing), but not for long. I feel like heading down the road and letting it sort itself out, but would be foolish and possibly costly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. peace
jon
Jem

Post by Jem »

I always associate whining with gears. Have you changed the oil since getting back on the road?
Have you changed the cambelt recently. Once when I had a new belt fitted it was noisy for a couple of weeks; now I use talc (Johnsons Baby Powder) as a dry lubricant on belts. It might be worth disassembling the cam belt pulleys and cleaning off any rust with a wire brush on a bench grinder
d907ie

Post by d907ie »

Many thanks, Jem!
I did change the oil (blend), but haven't even thought about checking the belt. Mainly, because I never have been inside to do that, so didn't want to do anything I wasn't familar with and sounded like extra work. I'll get my book out and check into the belts. Many thanks! peace
jon