How many electric fuel taps?

The 3 1/2 forum
craig_uk

How many electric fuel taps?

Post by craig_uk »

I have a newly acquired '76 Strada 350 V.

How many electric fuel taps should there be? One or Two?

If only one, then on which side should the electric tap be?

Craig, Wigan, UK
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

Craig,
Welcome to the forum.
My 500 has the electro-tap on the left towards the front and a manual tap on the right at the rear of the tank.
They both feed one carb directly, but both carbs are joined together in the middle, so they are really fed from both taps.

There are some photos of a dismantled electro-tap here
Above each tap in the tank is a tube, when the fuel level falls below the level of the lowest tube you have gone onto reserve. turning the manual tap to the reserve position unblocks another tube lower down in the tank. This difference in heights gives you your reserve range.

The electro-tap does not have a reserve tube, once the level has dropped below the tube you have run out. If you put two electro-taps on, you effectively have no reserve.

I keep meaning to replace the electro-tap with another manual one. I find that when the engine starts to stutter when going on to reserve, I like to keep the throttle open to keep the engine running. This means I have to reach over the tank with my left hand to operate the manual reserve on the right. Having a manual tap on the left would be much easier.
Or I could just swap the taps over.

I like the 'click' you hear when the electro-tap opens. It also indicates that you have turned the key the correct way before starting the engine (think that might answer your other question :) )
craig_uk

Post by craig_uk »

Thanks for the welcome and the very helpful information.

Regards,
Craig