Morini turbo 1982

The 3 1/2 forum
brianh0_4

Morini turbo 1982

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hi All,
Just joined the forum, but not re-joined the MRC yet, as currently no Morini!!
Came across some old pics recently, that might interest some of you. It was built by Jon Green of Elbymoto during the begining of 1982 and was displayed on the 'Superbike' stand at Earl court that year. I kept the bike for 10 years during which time it evolved. This pic was taken when it was new!!Image
72degrees

Re: Morini turbo 1982

Post by 72degrees »

I don't remember seeing that, though I do remember the Elbymoto TT race bike.
hendre

Post by hendre »

is it still around? Or any design specs/drawings? I am planning to make a special from a frame I have dangling around and this would be the business :mrgreen:
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hi Hendre,
No, i sold the bike, well PX'ed in 1992 for a Gilera Nordwest at Benjy Straws shop, WeeVee.
But the bike was sold normally aspirated, so i do still have the turbo and exhaust system, plus i have the plans for it's operation written for me my Franco Lambertini when i went down to the factory to see him. Any really old (?) members will have seen a story i wrote for ATG back in 1984 on the subject.
It any one is interested i will look for the info.Image
This was how it ended up, but Benjy removed the TZ350 fairing and seat unit before sale.
Does anyone still have it??

brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hmm seems to have missed off a bit. The reg was OMP 894X
hendre

Post by hendre »

brianh0_4 wrote:Hi Hendre,
No, i sold the bike, well PX'ed in 1992 for a Gilera Nordwest at Benjy Straws shop, WeeVee.
But the bike was sold normally aspirated, so i do still have the turbo and exhaust system, plus i have the plans for it's operation written for me my Franco Lambertini when i went down to the factory to see him. Any really old (?) members will have seen a story i wrote for ATG back in 1984 on the subject.
It any one is interested i will look for the info.
more info please :D and you got a PM :arrow:
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

brianh0_4 wrote:Hmm seems to have missed off a bit. The reg was OMP 894X
The forum is cropping the pictures. If you save the pictures, or paste their URL into a browser, you can see them full size.

I've got someone asking about doing a Turbo Morini project, so I'd certainly like to see any information you might have.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Fascinating! I thought the prototype 500 turbo was rare enough but this is extremely cool. That second photo (the rear view ) reminds me so much of an MV Agusta, with the different tank and all. Now that would be a heavenly hybrid!
Cheers for sharing,
Dom.
MRC 3082½
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Hi beautiful bike. I remember some one doing a simiar off-road turbo aroud the same time (was there any connection to you on this one ?).

Would you do an article for ATG (rather than the forum) ? Print quality has rather improved since 1984, so those colour shots would come out really nicely.

Interestingly I spoke to Lambertini a couple of years ago and he recalled giving the turbo company (IRO ????), which was Japanese, some false information as they were becomnig VERY interestedi in his tubo research. That incorrect info ended up appearing on early problrmatic CX500 turbos :D Very clever man...........but then we all know that.

Cheers

Pete
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

Hi all,
Yes i would be able to do an article for ATG. The first one i did was hand written which i then sent to Arthur Farrow, who wasn't happy having to type it out!!!
The turbo company was IHI, and it was a big company, Lamertini knew his stuff and his aim was to keep it simple unlike the CX500, he did draw me a carburater mod that seem stupid though. After a couple more years i did try it, and yes it was stupid!!!
The rest he gave me was good though.
There was a scrambler turbo made at the same time, Benjy knew him, he did a lot of frame designing i think.

Bgrds, Brian
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Thta second photo with the rear 3/4 view of the bike is great. I also like the Vitesse too. Should have more of these..... :)
kangurada

Post by kangurada »

I think I might have been the next owner, Benjy sold me a Sport around that time as an ex-turbo, though I think it had been converted back completely to stock spec. I'll see if I have any pictures in the attic ...
brianh0_4

Post by brianh0_4 »

What happened to it after then, assuming you don't still have it??

Brian.
tremoto

Post by tremoto »

Brianh0_4,

I know who has the seat unit though if you are still reading this thread. Not being used but too good to throw, in good nick still. I think my brother bought it from Benji before Weevee's went the way of the four winds...could have been Phil perhaps. I'll have to chase him to see if he has any of the rest of it, but that reg does ring a bell somewhere...dont know how.
hendre

Post by hendre »

tremoto wrote:Brianh0_4,

I know who has the seat unit though if you are still reading this thread. Not being used but too good to throw, in good nick still. I think my brother bought it from Benji before Weevee's went the way of the four winds...could have been Phil perhaps. I'll have to chase him to see if he has any of the rest of it, but that reg does ring a bell somewhere...dont know how.
Hi, I bought the Turbo parts from Brian to build a special.. making room in the garage to start up at the moment. :mrgreen:
If there are any parts from this bike that are colleting dust I am interested of course :wink: