Kph Speedo

The 3 1/2 forum
unreal

Kph Speedo

Post by unreal »

Hi all, I'm still working on the Strada, does anyone know if MPH speedo is a requirement to get a bike registered, having come from Italy (via Holland) it has a KPH speedo, my MOT station has no problem with that but what about DVLA? I've heard conflicting opinions, so I was wondering if anyone has experience of registering.

Simon
Morizzi

Re: Kph Speedo

Post by Morizzi »

Simon,

I'll have to check but I know I've got a veglia speedo in MPH but I'm not sure if I have a Moto Morini labelled one.

The veglia one's will fit, you may just need to remove the holding threads that extend out for other makes.

I'm in Australia but I'm coming to the UK late August. I'm happy to do a swap if you need one but it may just be easier for you to keep an eye on ebay. Get a veglia one (only difference really is that Morini put their name on the face rather than Veglia's), modify it to fit if needed, get all your papertwork sorted then put your Morini one back in if the name on the face is important to you.

They are quite cheap. The Morini one's are rarer. I'd be interested in yours if you no longer need it as we are in kph and my Morini speedo is getting tired. If not I'll shove a Veglia one in there. :D

Cheers

Rod
unreal

Post by unreal »

Hi Rod, I'll bear that in mind. I have an early sport too, so if DVLA require an MPH speedo to register I'll 'borrow' it from there to get the plate if need be.

Simon
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Just about every Dart I've ever seen has a kilometre speedo. I've had MoTs for mine every year from 1992, so there shouldn't be a problem.

If you're worried (and it makes good sense in any case) put a marker at 50 kph (for 30 mph), 80 kpm (for 50) and 120 (for 70 ish); you should be able to make out 40 and 60, and once you're doing more than 140 kph it's all academic anyway... Oh, and 160 is an indicated 100 or thereabouts!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
unreal

Post by unreal »

I have no worries about the speedo being kph, XJR400 had a digital kph dash so it almost automatic for me, (Veglia speedos are next to useless anyway!) neither does my MOT man.

My concern is if I need to have the bike inspected by DVLA to get it registered are they likely to want to see a MPH one?

I've read on other forums everything from just getting the paper worked stamped through to jobs-worth getting picky, and was more interested in any other forum members experiences in registering a bike.

I guess the safest bet will be to put my Sports speedo on at the time.

Simon
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The only things the DVLA inspectors are interested in are;

Is the bike the make/model described.

What is the frame number.

There's a chance that their highly trained staff will get the latter wrong. Make sure they don't write down the type approval number (starting DGM...).
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
morini500dave

Post by morini500dave »

Hi all.
I think the DVLA are only interested in the bike having mileage on it so that It's not presumed to be new? the m.o.t tester and Dvla inspecter both recorded the speedo reading on my Sbarazzino.

Dave.