Speedo accuracy

The 3 1/2 forum
MarkB

Speedo accuracy

Post by MarkB »

After a month with my new (1976) 3 1/2 Strada, I'm finding it's an absolute joy to ride. I'm running in a new set of piston rings so I'm taking things fairly easy, but I've noticed that a lot of cars seem to be speeding through speed cameras, Nissan Micras exceed 60mph etc, and I'm wondering how accurate my speedometer is.

Can anyone help translate revs in top gear to actual speed? I've got a 38 tooth rear sprocket and I assume the front sprocket is standard, and I'm using Avon Roadriders, 100/90.18 on the rear.

Thanks, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Mark

I wondered when you were following me back to stevenage the other week as I was slowing down to 45-50 mph to keep you in my mirrors, I thought it was your tyre issue. I have attached a link to a spreadsheet I use, not mine but widely available on the net. I have populated it with the standard morini 350 gear ratios and rev details. Have a look and see, you can update all the items. Quite useful if you are thinking of playing with sprocket or tyre sizes. I can't comment on speedo accuracy as I use an electronic speedo where you program the front wheel circumference ( I have even added a 5% error to help with speed cameras).:-

Link to excel spreadsheet
http://www.mediafire.com/?uwyzenggmm5

Regards

Robin
Last edited by robinh44 on 03 Aug 2009 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Robin, that's really helpful. I'll have to take him out for a ride to compare results. Is that ratio for 6th gear correct at 1.095, as it seems to be lower (?) than 5th, which is 1.047?
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Mark

Thats my typo, should be 0.95 for sixth gear. I have corrected the original file and put the new link in the original post.

Robin
boris tarpit

Post by boris tarpit »

That's assuming that the tacho is accurate . . . .

}<{("<~
No man is an island - except for the Isle of Man.
neil

Post by neil »

Despite what people say about Veglia instruments I find my speedo to be fairly accurate measured against the speeds signs in my area. Speedo indicates about 30-31mph when the signs show 29-30mph. Tacho reads around 5k at about 50mph in top.
Regards, Neil.
danomar

Post by danomar »

The common joke is that Veglia are "vaguelia" accurate. My speedometer and tachometer are both ridiculously inaccurate. Then again, I usually do not look at them when riding my Morini!
Vrrooom!
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

What I've done in the past is to arrange one of my offspring to hold up bits of card in the back window of my car with 10 mph increments.(well it's good to get them involved) And sometimes they get them in the correct sequence.
I think you can count marker posts on the hard shoulder, but I've never made it past about 3 before boredom set in.
EVguru

Re: Speedo accuracy

Post by EVguru »

I'm running in a new set of piston rings so I'm taking things fairly easy
Piston rings should only take 100 miles or so to run in at the most.

You need to keep varying the engine speed and give it occasional short bursts of full throttle from mid revs. In other words DO labour the engine. You need high cylinder pressures to force the rings hard against the bores to get them to seat.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

It's interesting that Neil's tacho and speedo read 5k and 50mph in top. Mine read 4k and 50mph. If my maths are right, that would give Neil a top speed of 82mph at the red line of 8,200rpm (which seems low) and me slightly over 100mph.

Is there any way of checking the electronic tacho's accuracy as well? The needle's always steady except when changing gear, when it does a quick sweep across the dial.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

And thanks for the advice EVguru. I ride mainly on country roads, so the revs get plenty of variety, but it's good to know I can give it a quick blast every now and then!
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

MarkB wrote:It's interesting that Neil's tacho and speedo read 5k and 50mph in top. Mine read 4k and 50mph. If my maths are right, that would give Neil a top speed of 82mph at the red line of 8,200rpm (which seems low) and me slightly over 100mph.
Hi,

On my vapor electronic speedo and tacho in top gear I see approx 70-72 mph at 6000 revs and at 7000 revs about 82-85mph. However I am running a 38 tooth sprocket on a 160/60 17 rear wheel, this is a few mph down on what the spreadsheet indicates. Regarding veglia's I had them on a 1981 Triumph Bonneville, they seemed quite reliable but had the annoying habit of rotating in the rubber holders. They ended up sitting at about the two o'clock position so you got a kink in your neck trying to read them.

Regards

Robin
moriniuk

Post by moriniuk »

3 pot john.

I wonder if other drivers think you're being given marks for your riding style?

H.
ringer

Post by ringer »

Mark,

Have you considered that your speedo drive (in the front wheel) may be geared for kph, so where you think you are reading mph on the speedo, the speed indicated is actually kph? If that is the case, I believe that NLM do a converter. Can you give us an idea of the difference in indicated / actual speed?
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

It's a UK-registered bike (Oct 76) so I'm fairly sure it's mph, and I don't think the discrepancy is enough to be kph vs mph. I'm going to take a ride out with RobinH to check my readings against his hi-tech electronic speedo, which seems a simpler solution than getting my nephew to score my riding out of 60, as 3potjohn suggested!