Strada will not start

The 3 1/2 forum
Daveb1113

Strada will not start

Post by Daveb1113 »

As this is my first post on the forum I'll start by saying hello to you all. I bought my 1981 Strada in September last year and I absolutely love it. I totally get all the comments on here about how wonderful and addictive they are. I live in North Derbyshire and it's perfect for the roads around here.

Up to now, other than a slight hesitation on initial throttle opening, which seems to be a common issue, it has been running fine. A couple of weeks ago it developed a misfire at high revs, but I put some new plugs in and that cured it.

Since then it has become increasingly difficult to start. Initially it was reluctant to start in the starter motor, but would kick start fine, but I can't get it to start at all now. I have tried charging the battery to make sure it's fully charged and it's spinning plenty quick enough. As well as kick starting, I've also tried to bump start it, but it's having none of it.

I will be the first to admit that I'm hopeless when it comes to electrics, but I have tested the resistance on the green wire from the alternator and I'm only getting a reading of 160 ohms, which I understand is very low. The wire is disconnected and I've tried several earth points, but the reading is the same.

Looking at some previous posts this would suggest that a stator rewind is required, but does anyone have any other ideas or if there are other tests I should try?

Any advice would be most appreciated

Dave
mbmm350s

Re: Strada will not start

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Dave,

It sounds like you have done all the tests you need to do, 160 ohms with everything disconnected most likely to indicate a faulty winding, given the history of it getting progressively harder to start and the misfire.
Once you have the stator removed you can check the measurement again.

Mark
Daveb1113

Post by Daveb1113 »

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I'll take it off and give it another test to make sure.

Dave
Daveb1113

Post by Daveb1113 »

One other question, if a rewind is required, I appreciate that there are a number of recommendations on here, but has anyone had this work done recently and does anyone know if there is anywhere local to me who I could use?
AndyCocks

Post by AndyCocks »

Just had my stator rewind by WestCountry windings in Thetford for £94incl postage back, took about a week from when they received it to getting it back
Daveb1113

Post by Daveb1113 »

Thanks for that Andy, that sounds good.