Typical

The 3 1/2 forum
unreal

Typical

Post by unreal »

First sunny morning in ages so I thought I'd take the Sport to work.

No 'click' so flip the reserve, starts first kick. No tacho, no lights!

Fuses are OK, so I'm guessing an earth, but no time this morning so the Strada got to play with the London traffic!

There's a chance I may have left the ignition on and killed the battery, would this have this affect?

So another job for this weekend, also going to try some 43 jets, new mains and needles to address the flat spot on the Strada.

Anyway, everyone have a wonderful Easter and may the sunshine!

Si
EVguru

Re: Typical

Post by EVguru »

The Morini charging systen will not attempt to charge a battery showing less than about 9 volt.

It's not that uncommon for a battery to fail with a cell shorted out. Attempting to charge a batttery in this state can either overload and burn out the alternator windings and/or 'boil' the battery resulting in acid spewing out. There are plenty of bikes with a repuation for this.

If the battery is in good health, then with no load it may recover enough for the regulator to cut in. I once left my lights on and it was only a number of miles later that I realised that the tachometer wasn't working indicating a flat battery. By reaching under the tank and disconnecting the fuel tap and not using the rear brake, the charging system came to life a few miles later.

The regulator is turned on by the brown wire which is fed via the ignition switch. Many charging problems are caused be a poor connection in this wire, or a faulty ignition switch.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
unreal

Post by unreal »

Thanks Paul, to be honest, it has been a while since I went through the wiring and cleaned and checked connections etc.
So now would be a good time to give it a little TLC.

Si
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks!

A simple answer but it did spread some 'light' on how the morini system works

Tom
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Checked the fuse in the fuse holder from the battery? My 500 did this to me on the A1 last year. No lights, indicators etc. Arm signals at 70 anyone? It was the fuse holder, the spring has become a little tired. Pulled it apart at the petrol stop and put it together with insulating tape. Has been ok since.

This is the beauty of the Morini ignition system and don't let anybody tell you any different. I hate to think what could have jappened in the outside lane of the A1 if the ignition had stopped too.