my new morini 500 sport project

Show us your projects and restorations
bigred

Re: my new morini 500 sport project

Post by bigred »

Hi thanks for the comments. The switch gear was from bikermart heres the address. https://www.bikermart.co.uk/Universal-A ... bar-Switch The original had several feeds to the switch wher this has one so I fused a couple of the originals with 10 amp fuses and joined them together at the switch line. The new switch wires are bigger than the original so can carry more current. Its all working well. Used japanese 3.9mm bullet connectors as they are smaller to hide in a loom.
I quite like the idea of coloured back lights. Red would suit the bike colour scheme. I dont ride at night now at my age (retired) but would look cool on a cloudy day.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi. The joys of ownership. I have got the carbs rebuilt and managed to get the engine running. I have now got to balance the carbs and use timing light to set saches ignition. The starter motor started the motor a few times but now I just get a click from the starter relay. Battery volts dont drop so I am assuming knackered relay. Also when it was runnning the battery voltage didnt rise so I suspect the alternator or regulator is duff. resistance across the two yellow wires from alternator is 1 ohm so thats my first worry. I can start the bike using kickstart so I will continue setting carb balence etc and then then fix the ignition timing.
I will then worry about the charging electrics and get a new relay. :roll:
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Carb balancing is done last.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi yes but i needed a rough setting so I can run the engine and set the timing spot on. Then I will revist the carbs. On a good note the the alternator is generating 27v ac open circuit and does actually charge the battery via the boyer regulator. I still have to source a high amp start relay.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi. Well 99% finished. Just got to check the tank valves especially the electric one. I also need to plumb the carbs to the tank with clear fuel pipe. I have kept tank empty while checking fit on the frame and been using temp supply to the carbs for testing.
Engine runs and ticks over great. All the electrics work including the electric start.
Big thanks to all the people who answered all my technical queries on the forum. Its been a big learning curve.
I would like to thank Doug at mdina for all the parts and the chats. Great guy and company.
I think ive spent about £1500 recommisioning the bike for the road with ignition, tyres, brakes, electrics, battery, carb kits and choke parts etc
Im now waiting for some decent weather to do some local small shakedown runs before using during the summer. :D
Attachments
finished bike.jpg
finished bike.jpg (397.67 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
bigred

Post by bigred »

Had my first ever ride on a moto morini today. Up till now its been a love of the look. Did my first shakedown run locally. At first couldnt get any gear above 1st. Stopped and ran through the gears stationary with engine off a few times. Started up and then got all the gears OK. Need to adjust the gear change lever to make up changes easier.
Ran it up through the gears and I have fallen in love! Its a beautiful bike to ride. Front brakes need to bed in and the rear brake needs a gentle application or you can lock the rear wheel. they all have new pads but the original discs. Handling feels good although I took it steady on the brand new bridgstone tyres in this cold weather.
I am really looking to riding it out this year.