Main beam

Anything to do with the 1200 'strada' series
salnphil

Main beam

Post by salnphil »

Quick pre-MOT check for the 91/2 - no main beam. Bulb is fine. Connections are fine. Relays are fine. Switch is fine. I have got used to turning the ignition on and off to counter the power-saving to bring dip back on, still no main beam. Has its tiny computer brain decided to save power by permanently disabling main beam? Any ideas? The bike is now off the road and we went to Italy by plane instead...
72degrees

Re: Main beam

Post by 72degrees »

Are you sure the relays are fine? Have you poked about with a multimeter to confirm power is reaching the bulb connections? I eventually had to replace both OEM relays on my Corsaro with Panasonic replacements from Mouser. I remember fiddling about for quite a while before I got both beams working properly again.

You may remember this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2527#p12458
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Phil,

Relays aside, I've in the past had the opposite problem on my Corsaro- lights permanently on high bean during the rain due to water ingress in the handlebar switch. A periodic spray of wd40 into the switch seems to have put a halt to that.

Anyway, you need to check your lights with the engine running. I've just been out to double check on my Corsaro and can confirm that with the engine off, the dip beam lights briefly until the power save turns it off, but the high beam and flash will not illuminate. I can't start the bike to verify they still work with the engine running, but they were working fine last time I used the bike and I have a feeling I've scratched my head at this in the past.

Fire the bike up and check again, and report back to us!

Tom
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Tom's right - engine needs to be running; it'll confuse the MoT man as well. Turn up with the engine running and demo this feature to him before you switch off - saves lots of battery (don't ask how I know this...)

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

corsaro chris wrote:Tom's right - engine needs to be running; it'll confuse the MoT man as well. Turn up with the engine running and demo this feature to him before you switch off - saves lots of battery (don't ask how I know this...)
CC
Aha! That's possibly why I had so much 'fun' sorting mine out. One relay was definitely toast though as I'd already checked both beams with the engine running.
salnphil

Post by salnphil »

Yay! It really was as simple as that. Thanks folks, I'll get that MOT organised and give it some use. I must still find some time to get Sally's Strada back on the road. BTW, no modern Morinis spotted in Italy, but we saw a Strada in original brown in enthusiastic use in Padova/Padua. It looked like a local using it, unusual to see an Italian on something other that a Japanese scooter or a BMW.