Downpipes

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
unbelievable

Downpipes

Post by unbelievable »

After my second test ride yesterday, I'm sold and will be ordering a Corsaro Veloce on Monday. :D

I absolutely love the bike but I will be replacing the downpipes as the almost rusty looking ones on the 1 year old test bike I rode look awful imo.

I want to keep cost to a minimum really, so what's the cheapest route to getting stainless pipes? Do I have to de-cat and get a Power commander as well? I'm a bit mechanically challenged so roughly how much would someone charge to do the work?

Thanks in advance for any advice and I am proud to be joining you all as a Moto Morini owner!
Emmohaswheelsagain

Downpipes

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Not sure if these exist as all the Morini's I have seen seem to have the same discolouration to the downpipes. Even on my 9 1/2 the down pipes have discoloured despite the regular use of Solvo Autosol. Don't let this put you off I'm sure there a solution and if there isn't it won't spoil the fun trying. :D Welcome to the Morini family and make sure you join the MRC.
hombre

Post by hombre »

On my 9 1/2 the pipes look awful too (after one year and almost 20000 km's). Has anyone had them changed under warranty? I heard that even rusty nuts on the handlebars were changed under warranty.
twisty

Post by twisty »

I thought the pipes were stainless?
I've seen a few other bikes with stainless pipes that go the same colour.
If they weren't stainless they would be covered in rust quite quickly as they aren't chrome plated, i don't think the brown look is corrosion?
hombre

Post by hombre »

On my bike they are definitely not stainless, maybe on the Corsaro?
franky

Post by franky »

the only way to stop it is getting yourself some stainless termi downpipes :D

Thats what i'm doing along with lubing all the bearings/linkages. Oh and changing all the alloy bolts for stainless ones.

Word of warning though........ to change the short rear cylinder pipe the swingarm has to come off.
vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

I have a 2007 Veloce and they are stainless steel pipes, sometimes s/s can tarnish and is often mistaken for rust, when you heat certain grades of s/s to over 300deg C it can affect the surface (mainly 430, 304, 310 and A2 grades) put a magnet onto the pipe and see if it sticks unless its 430 grade or mild steel it will not stick, you can have the pipes chemically polished which lasts about a year and then deteriorates but the only real answers are………….. To put up with it,……………. chrome them, ……………or fit Titanium pipes.
unbelievable

Post by unbelievable »

Does anyone do titanium pipes for the Veloce?

I've read about using (don't laugh) Mr. Sheen of all things to clean stainless pipes. Also, autosol seems to rate highly. Mr. Muscle oven cleaner also gets a mention but I think that might be too harsh and I'm not sure I'd try it.
twisty

Post by twisty »

unbelievable wrote:Does anyone do titanium pipes for the Veloce?

I've read about using (don't laugh) Mr. Sheen of all things to clean stainless pipes. Also, autosol seems to rate highly. Mr. Muscle oven cleaner also gets a mention but I think that might be too harsh and I'm not sure I'd try it.
Not so daft, I use neat thick household bleach on a regular basis to clean stainless steel at work, it brings it back as new after just a few minutes left on and agitated with a paint brush. I think it depends on the grade of stainless steel and whether it is subjected to heat.
unbelievable

Post by unbelievable »

twisty wrote:
unbelievable wrote:Does anyone do titanium pipes for the Veloce?

Not so daft, I use neat thick household bleach on a regular basis to clean stainless steel at work, it brings it back as new after just a few minutes left on and agitated with a paint brush. I think it depends on the grade of stainless steel and whether it is subjected to heat.
Ah, that's interesting - So what do you use to clean the pipes on your Morini?
twisty

Post by twisty »

got my bike secondhand and it had all the pipes polished. I think they had been done with solvol autosol.
The old way of doing them ,was a long strip of 2 inch rag wrapped round the pipes twice with autosol and push and pull on the rag like cutting a tree. A lot quicker than polishing by rubbing.

If you're in doubt about bleach , try it on stainless sink, probably good because its mildly acidic. Doesn't work on motorcycle downpipes for some reason. Tried it on an old burnished pipe and although it cleaned it it was still tarnished. I think autosol is the best along with elbow grease

I've tried the hein gericke stainless cleaner but it was rubbish and was so watery it was useless.
Last edited by twisty on 06 Jul 2009 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Guvo

Pipe discoloration

Post by Guvo »

Mr Sheen the lemon fragrant variant. Top stuff .Clean my whole Veloce with it.Does not seem to make much of a difference on the burnished bronze discoloration on the up pipe which receives the highest temperatures apart from the pipes exiting the heads.I quite like the color.I would not attempt to use anything abrasive on them,the scratches would look worse than the color change.
adamsson

Post by adamsson »

just ride the thing and stop worrying the pipes are stainless and won't rust but the will discolour with heat :roll:
unbelievable

Post by unbelievable »

Okay, which looks better, this:

Or this?

vtxbrit

Post by vtxbrit »

The firs picture tells me the bike has been ridden and enjoyed, :D the second picture tells me it is brand new, but at the end of the day if you have plenty of time for polishing good luck to you :wink: