One of the last Veloces

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
VeloceNZ

One of the last Veloces

Post by VeloceNZ »

Thanks to articles by Alan Cathcart, I became very interested in the MM Corsaro and so I kept a lookout for a used one here in New Zealand for a few years. Then last year (2018) I found a brand new Veloce in Milan, Italy (one of the last to roll out of the Trivolzio factory) so decided to import it. Thanks to Shippio in the UK it arrived here in NZ safely and in perfect condition. Apparently there are about thirty Corsaros and four Veloces in NZ all imported back in 2007-08 but there’s no agent here now.

I’ve only done about 4,000 km so far. It’s a fun bike to ride and is beginning to loosen up. The motor is a masterpiece and I cannot fathom how Lambertini managed to get so much torque with such a short stroke (66 mm). The guy’s a genius!

I have now fitted a GPS-driven chain oiler from Pro-oiler in the Netherlands (installed under the pillon seat) which works perfectly and the bike’s had a Beltronics radar detector (legal here in NZ) since day 1. I also changed the clutch and brake master cylinder reservoirs to slimmer Motocorse units.
It is very smooth for a V2 and not as raw as my Buell (XB12) but is a little heavier. Despite the weight, the handling is more precise. Both front and rear suspension were rock hard when new but are slowly getting more compliant.

One gripe I have is the difficulty of adjusting the rear spring preload. (The bike has a Sachs shock rather than an Ohlins but oddly, has the same forged wheels as the ZZ.) Apart from having to make my own adjusting tool for the rear shock, I almost have to lie down to do the adjusting so now I’m looking at upgrading to a shock with hydraulic preload.
I’m also quite certain that the fuelling is too lean between 3000 and 5000 rpm. It’s worse at constant throttle through town where it hunts a bit in this rev range and bogs slightly when accelerating unless given a bit more of a handful. But after 5000 rpm it just takes off. I need to stick it on a dyno and see if I can improve that. It’s averaging about 6.6 lit/100 km (since running in).
floydsveloce

Re: One of the last Veloces

Post by floydsveloce »

Glad you are enjoying Mr veloce NZ. Mine is a white 2009 model , and I do love it. The sound , the handling , it's all just awesome. It's fair to say it's had its moments , brand new battery and oil line are recent foibles.
Any issues , just post on here , we will be glad to help.

Floyd
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Great to know we have another Morini on the road here in NZ - whereabouts are you?
Cheers, Dom
MRC 3082½
VeloceNZ

Post by VeloceNZ »

We're in the Motueka Valley, Nelson. Great riding territory round here!
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Oh my word, you're not wrong! Have you already died and gone to heaven?? You could take in half a coastline in a day and not see a single soul. What a place to ride, welcome to the "club" :)
Actually, have you joined properly as a "virtual" member?
DD
MRC 3082½