tank decals

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
twisty

tank decals

Post by twisty »

scratched the decal on the tank and need a replacement which are not available.

it is possible to print on to waterslide paper to make the transfer but does any one know or tell me how to cut the decal out along the outline. I take it that it requires a plotter to cut.

Because there is white between the gold and the red in the moto morini name, the paper needs to be white.(i think)

Just looking for some advice. I.E do i need software lile coreldraw to scale the item. Even better who works for a printer. I don't mind paying
morini logo.jpg
morini logo.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 15538 times
morini_tom

Re: tank decals

Post by morini_tom »

Can't help with the decals I'm afraid but you could try classic transfers. They have a large library of Morini decals. I suspect they won't have decals for the water-cooled bikes but you could always use the classic MM Eagle (or the original corsaro pirate??) logos...

http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/pages ... morini.php

The above link doesnt show all the morini logos they do. I know for sure la strega is missing.

Classic transfers might be prepared to add the new MM logo to their library so it would be worth an ask. I might have a scan of a new transfer somewhere as dad bought one a couple of years ago when he had the veloce repainted and I'm sure I scanned the logo first for future reference. I'll have a look tonight...

On a similar note does anyone know anywhere I can get vinyl stickers printed and cut? I have been after some la Strega vinyls for the dart for ages. Can't be waterslides as I can't over laquer on the carbon bodywork
twisty

Post by twisty »

picked up the winged moto morini logo from classic transfers.

Looks good quality , 13.25 including postage for a pair.

Size wise a bit bigger than the original at 115mm across the wings and 53mm in depth from the eagles head to tail.
Its a rub on transfer which can be laquered over.
the original looks better, but unless i can make a copy using waterslide i'm stuck with this.
main2511.jpg
main2511.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 15510 times
Beveldrive

Post by Beveldrive »

G'day Twisty.
I actually know a guy who makes his living from creating and selling bike decals, in fact I was talking to him just last Saturday at a bike show, I'll be seeing him again in two weeks at another bike show as he wants to make some patterns for an SS Darmah usng my Ducati as the sample.

If you're still interested I'll ask him if he can make up some decals from my Veloce.
I do quite like Tom's idea of the vintage style though.

Anyhow, as I said, if you're interested I'll do my utmost to follow it through for you (I owe you a favour).
Cheers...Brett.
twisty

Post by twisty »

be obliged :D , as it seems impossible to source the original.

Penty of images on the net ,both of the tank and of the small logo on the fairing.

I think the problem with making your own logos is cutting them out as it's never as neat as a plotter cutter which leaves a more refined edge more suited for laquering over.

When i looked at the scratch right through the tank decal i could have commited hari kari. Years ago i'd have taken a flakey and done a "basil fawlty" and kicked the bike to bits out of sheer frustration.

Now i know if i kick it i'll break my foot,age mellows :mrgreen:
The other half has just printed out some mm logos on waterslide decal paper. Initial results look very good, could do with the red being more vivid but with the right software program that could be worked on.

Only problem is that the name moto morini is red with a white insert surrounded by a gold outline.
To get the white insert you need to use white decal paper whicm means cutting exactly around the whole logo so no white bits show.

If the tank was white that would be fine because then a clear decal paper can be used and the white off the tank would become the infill colour here. Normal printers rely on the white paper to produce white.

Its also easier to make a rough outline cut of a transfer if clear is used.
twisty

Post by twisty »

just an update on the waterslide decals.

white background paper gives a pretty good copy of what you see on the screen as when applied the white background still gives the colours some vibrancy.

Downside is that you need to cut all around the logo to remove the white decal paper before applying.

clear waterslide decal paper , due to the fact the decal slides off the paper and is then just the printed colours on a clear film the following applies.

on for instance a white tank , excellent as colours are replicated as when printed due to the white background.
Apply the same to a coloured tank and they become almost invisible as the background colour of the tank shows through the thin pigment ink of the decal thereby diluting the color. The inks are too transluscent too cope with a coloured background .

Upside of the clear is that once printed a rough outline cut of the logo is sufficient as the clear base blends in as its very thin.

Comparing the waterslide with the classic transfers logo's purchased they appear to be laser cut and self adhesive (thin) on a backing card and are rubbed on. As such they will keep there colour no matter what the tank base background is .

Worthwhile doing if you just want professional looking logos, like tyre pressures , i luv my bike, piss off etc or some smileys :P
twisty

Post by twisty »

picked these up from italy about £20 set plus postage

ability to over lacquer , so once they arrive i'll check the quality and if ok pass on the details.
the photos look quite similar to the originals on the bike, so fingers crossed.

$(KGrHqN,!l8E4vQWe-bfBOMdn7DWCg~~0_12.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!l8E4vQWe-bfBOMdn7DWCg~~0_12.jpg (42.4 KiB) Viewed 15394 times
Beveldrive

Post by Beveldrive »

They look pretty good Twisty, of course they'll look even better once they've been lacquered.
I'll be seeing my decal guy this weekend, I'm guessing you don't need me quiz him at this stage (?)
twisty

Post by twisty »

another source can't go wrong.

Once they arrive i'll compare them for size and quality reproduction with what's on the tank and post a photo for comparison.

last year 3x were wanting about £46 pounds plus vat for the same set,which at the time i thought was a rip off.
twisty

Post by twisty »

got the tank decals but they are not even near the original sizing, far too big for the tank decals.

Quality very good , but useless as they are the wrong dimensions
Beveldrive

Post by Beveldrive »

Okay Twisty, I'll talk to my guy as soon as possible, probably this Sunday at the Club Laverda Concourse. It's the biggest bike show in Queensland and if I get my header pipe this week (I've been waiting almost a month now) I'll be entering the Ducati.