Are new cam cover gaskets required or are they re-useable?

Anything to do with the 1200 Corsaro series
Splodge

Are new cam cover gaskets required or are they re-useable?

Post by Splodge »

I've got to check my valve gaps (6000 miles) so I'd like to know if the gaskests are the re-useable type or do I need to change them? Also is there anything else I should change at the same time? Spark plugs? any other seals? etc, etc.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Sploge;

This should all be covered in the service booklet. If you don't have one, contact David Marlow (Supermoto Dave), MRC librarian, as he'll have a copy that he can send you from the archive.

Another member of the forum had some copies of the workshop manual a little while back, but I'm not sure what happened to those :wink:

If it's a model from 18 months or more ago there may also be factory uprades required - the easy trick is to check if you have an earth wire to the outer side of the radiator - no wire, upgrade required...

Cheers,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Splodge

Post by Splodge »

Thanks for the info Chris, I do have a manual for it and it says the gaskets should be changed......however as they are £78 each (that's right, £156 a pair!!) I wondered if anybody else has had the cam covers off without renewing them.

To be fair to 3X when they rechecked the price they did agree how ridiculas the price was and said I could have them at cost - still £52 each though.

I'm not going to change them and I'll see what happens (Stuart at NLM says they never change them).