Clutch woes

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Tinker

Clutch woes

Post by Tinker »

Had the bike in to Motohub to get the clutch looked at today. Ben changed the springs and checked the stack. Got home tonight to take it for a shakedown and it’s still slipping.
MickeyMoto

Re: Clutch woes

Post by MickeyMoto »

What oil is inside?

Has to be JASO MA standard for a wet clutch
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Serviced by Motohub so should be correct oil. It’s a weird one. Previous owner had issues so was looked at before I got it.
Painter

Post by Painter »

ok after reading your tale of woe.
just replace the friction plates, you can get some surflex plates relatively cheaply certainly cheaper than Motohubs hourly rate , I am frankly surprised they have not done it. The oil issue is a red herring don't go there, the whole job can be done in an hour and is easy job. If you read the corsaro manual it tells you how to check the free play, I replace mine recently as it was slipping under high loads , ie changing down at speed.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Benelli TNT plates fit have a look at the parts interchangability on this forum.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Motohub say they have changed the plates and springs already. I checked the slave cylinder and it is pushing fluid back to the reservoir when returning. I am having trouble finding any info on the proper pushrod setup, is there just one rod and are there any balls apart from thrust at the clutch? The only thing that worries me is because it is a warranty job are they being a bit careful with part costs!
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
As this is my old bike which was bought in 2015 from its second owner at 6k , I have some history with it. The clutch does have a single push rod with a combination of a ball bearing and a short push rod I think from memory.
The adjustment is slightly complicated comprising of rotating the rear wheel and checking the deck height, I am a bit fuzzy re the exact details as it been a while.
Does it slip at moderate speeds, how bad is it.
Have you a receipt for the plates, the springs tend in my experience with ducati clutches not to need replacing until mega age mileage.
It’s a long haul from Carlisle to motohub, do not loose faith with your bike, they a fantastic machines and yours is a very good one which Stu spend lots of money and time on.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Check the corsaro manual for correct pushrod assembly, it’s in there somewhere. There is no info re the Granpasso on the Internet , but this forum has been a great help to me.
Painter

Post by Painter »

Have a look at 114/1106 in corsaro manual.
I think your problem is your deck height is to low, you will need to substitute some 1.5 mm plates for 2 mm non friction plates, assuming Ben at motohub will have done this, they are very good, perhaps he was unable to test ride it, but this is almost certainly your problem .
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

He did test ride it but not far and only low speed. He did check the deck height that’s where you measure through one of the holes in the pressure plate? It’s a bit frustrating as the plan keeps changing. I do like the bike apart from this and it has a lovely tractable engine. Plastics are bad but I believe that’s normal
Painter

Post by Painter »

frustrating yes I can imagine especially the distance and time you have travelled.
A change of non fiction plate to increase the stacked height is all you need, but its trial and error.
you could attempt to do it yourself or a knowleable friend etc to assist. Even if you deck height is not within spec, what works works and as long as there
is no drag.