Which tyres?

The Cagiva era Morinis
chippit

Which tyres?

Post by chippit »

Hi,
I have to make a choise about tyres for my dart, I can get front's 100/90-16 and rear's 130/70-17
Metzler lasertec
Brigdestone BT 45's
Pirelli sport demon's
They are all similar in cost, does anyone have any ideas which I should go for.
I have BT 45's on my yamaha SRX600 and after 3000 km's the rear tyre is starting to square off but apart from that they have been a good tyre
Regards Christine
MickeyMoto

Re: Which tyres?

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

Hope the bike is going?

I would choose the Pirelli, but only because they do a good calendar.

Did you sort the carbs? They probably need a good degumming - unleaded fuel is horrible.

regards,

Mike.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Can you get H rated Pirelli Diablos in those sizes? They performed very well on my GFR 125 at Cadwell in September.
chippit

Post by chippit »

Still looking into tyres, dunlop sportmaxx have been recomended but I don't think I can get a front the right size.
I am still having problems getting the Dart to run right, I have replaced the spark plugs as one was faulty, now running on 2 cylinders. The throttle is sticking when I first go to start the bike, I will give the carbs another clean Mike (good suggestion) I pulled the cable to each carb. (engine not running) and each slide was stuck, once it was moving it seemed O.K. but I am not sure if this is causing the revs to hang up when it is running, blipping the throttle will drop the engine back to tick over, which it does nicely once warm. There is still a tendancy for the engine not to pick up when I open the throttle, I will have another tinker tomorrow. The strobe light is showing the timing nearer to the 500 mark at 6000rpm rather than the 350.
I am getting there with it and it sounds lovely........you can probably hear it in Daventry Alan!
Regards Christine.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

Try checking the cable routing. I had to lift the tank slightly at the front as it seemed to pinch the throttle cable where it goes between the tank and the frame. It would prevent the slides returning to the bottom, especially if the handlebars were turned. I used a bolt to lift the tank a fraction.

regards,

Mike.
alan j

Post by alan j »

But when am I going to see it, Christine?-mine is oh so quiet! :lol: :lol:
chippit

Post by chippit »

Running much better today, missing heigher up the rev range (anyone got any ideas?) but seems to be much better at starting and ticking over when it is warm. I will not be out on it just yet as I have decided to change the fork seals and tyres before I put it on the road. Still haven't decided which tyres to go for yet.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Christine;

Interesting to read about your Dart - we'll hope to see it at Midlands Morini events next year!

The BT 45 is easy to get hold of and a good tyre - I've just fitted a Bridgestone on the Strada (different size of course...) and am happy enough with that, and also used them on the Corsaro a couple of years back.

The Pirelli is nicer, but getting hold of them might be a little more difficult.

Currently I have Michelin on the Dart and I wouldn't want to recommend those to anyone (well, not on the Dart, anyway...) - I suspect that you cannot buy these now anyway.

Good riding, eventually!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
chippit

Post by chippit »

I can get the pirelli sport demons (but not the diablo's) are these better than the bridgestones :?:
Regards Christine
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Christine;
I can't speak for others - but I'd guess my answer would be in the "Pirelli are nicer, but ..." I had them originaly, and they are one heck of a lot better than the Micehelins on now, which are narrow and not very confidence inspiring!

What's fitted at present?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
chippit

Post by chippit »

It has a mitchelin macadum back and a dunlop k205 front, I haven't ridden it yet so I don't have any comparisons. In fact I am not going to even try it out as the front has bad splits in the side wall.
Thanks Christine
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Macadams aren't exactly highly thought of. I had them on the Voxan when I first had it. Pilot Power 2CTs transformed it. Not available in the sizes you need unfortunately. Dual compound tyres are amazing though if you can get suitable ones. I suspect the 16 inch front is going to limit what's available.

Go with Chris's BT45 suggestion - I've followed him round the TT course :wink:
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Christine,

Well that tyre combo gives the game away- sounds like your bike is one of my old darts (there have been a few!)

An odd tyre choice which I swore by for a few years- my first dart had these fitted and I thought handled great on the road and at cadwell. I can't comment whether I still agree with that as I converted my front wheel to 17" a while back now. I still run a macadam rear but with a pilot sport front, but this setup doesn't feel very nice (mito front end on my bike though so not a direct comparison)

I think the bridgestones are generally reckoned to be the favourites on the dart, whilst I didn't like the way pirellis dropped into corners.

Ultimately it's everyone's personal preference. If your tyres are in bad condition then yes, get them changed (I'd go with bt45s) otherwise, give it a try on what's on there- you may just like it!

Another spanner in the works is that a 17" conversion on the front is pretty easy and gives you more choice, although matching a good modern front to the narrow rear is tricky (hence the macadam on mine)

Tom
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Just read your other posts christine-

Throttle cable routing on darts is important- if you could post some pics that may help? No point me sending pics of mine as i've got different bars, forks, engine & airbox!

Rev hangup on return to idle is a common fault on darts- see my other post on the forum a few months back.

Misfire at high revs is normally one of 2 things- parts of the airbox missing without being rejetted (easy to miss something after a filter change) -its worth modifying the airbox to allow it to breathe better in any case- see Paul compton's (evguru) website

The other common cause of misfire is the cdi box which is bolted to the frame on the right hand side under the rear panel. Give the connections a good clean and a wiggle. This can be a weak spot. Substitution with another cdi is the easiest 'smoking gun' -I can lend you one to try if you need. Did you say you were in daventry? I'm in Northampton...
chippit

Post by chippit »

Thanks for all the advise, decision made, I will go with the BT 45's. I have those on my yamaha.
Thanks Tom for the offer to borrow a CDI, I did have a look at those connections and they were looking a little poor, I cleaned them up a bit but I will have another go. The fork seals are on there way and I will order the tyres today, I am in next village on from Daventry Tom, not far from Alan (thanks for the help Alan with the fuel tap)
Regards Christine