Dart newcomer

The Cagiva era Morinis
sheddweller

Dart newcomer

Post by sheddweller »

Hi folks, I'm a new member from Australia. I've jumped into the Morini world with both feet, and now have a 400 Dart, 350 Sport and 500 Sport in my shed. I have imported all 3 from Japan. The Dart is all red with Cagiva stickers, rather trhan Morini ones. Engine No 100065. Showing less than 4000 klms. Seemed to have the usual trademarks; leaking sump plug and neutral switch, oil level light not working, fuel tap not staying open, seized rear master cylinder, leaking fork seals etc.
I've replaced the Sump plug with a non standard one and brazed a fitting onto the Oil cooler pickup and fitted an oil pressure switch whcih is now hooked up to the oil light on the dash. Having read many posts and emailed NLM about the performance and intake and exhaust systems, I thought I'd better check out the Specs. It does have the same valves and port sizes as my 79 350 sport. Has the same cam lift (haven't plotted the duration yet) as my 350 sport, and has 66mm pistons in Nikaseal type liners. I have removed the 'flower pot', from the intake, and intend to replace the collector box on the exhaust with a 'y' piece and refit the muffler.
Any suggestions on where to start with jetting would be appreciated. I'm tempted to start with the standard jetting from the 350 Sport, but it seems that most forum members have ended up somewhere between the two.
Is there a Dart Manual on the Net???
I've read that 200mm fork oil is correct, but that one sided damping system looks very agricultural.
Different pre load spacers in each leg??? I've made some spacers 20mm longer than stock to try.
Thanks heaps, it's been great to find so much info on these bikes, I hope to be able to contribute in future.
Sheddweller
mantaray

Re: Dart newcomer

Post by mantaray »

Congratulations with your red dart
So they really exists ;-)
350 heads on a Dart 400 seems to be an inprovement( the airflow is better), but i never tried
And i have posted you the manual and partslist
Also downloadable on my googledocs
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9zPHg ... OTRm&hl=nl shared morinidocs

And pics we want pics ;-)
Last edited by mantaray on 23 Aug 2010 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Garry, glad you finally made it!

And yes- pics of your red dart would be good.

Mantaray- thanks for the download. I have a well used paper copy somewhere but having the pdf is a real help...
sheddweller

Post by sheddweller »

Mantaray, Thanks heaps for the reply and downloads. This is a great forum. My 400 came with the same valve and port sizes as a 350 Sport. Is this unusual??? Do you think they must have been changed from original??
I'll get some photos organised once I get it back together.
Tom, Thanks for guiding me through Registration. Turns out one of our computers allows me access but the one I mostly use still won't. I've changed my Password, so you can use the one you offered again.
Regards,
Garry.
mantaray

Post by mantaray »

this is my original 400 head