Travels on a Morini.

Post details of any upcoming Morini event or any event you think Morini enthusiats would be interested in.
hombre

Re: Travels on a Morini.

Post by hombre »

Haha, yes! We always have reggaebands at our meetings : D
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Wow, references to 80s music and drugs. What a forum! Didn't the guy die from a drugs overdose?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote: 19 Mar 2022 12:42 Wow, references to 80s music and drugs. What a forum! Didn't the guy die from a drugs overdose?
I don't know that Mike, I do recall they had a pretty poor run in the years after that record. I never realised it was about drugs though! I always thought it was a road safety slogan from Veronica TV about overtaking Dutch folk on the correct side? (except when travelling in UK of course)
Back to the song, I really like the original version that Musical Youth copied-Pass de kouchie-by The Mighty Diamonds. Before anyone asks-I don't smoke or take anything and never have done. Apart from alcohol.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
hombre

Post by hombre »

On Wikipedia it says one of them has died of heart problems at 24 :cry:
I do recall it being a song about passing on that joint to the next fellow. Btw for the record, I'm probably the only Dutchman in the whole world that never smoked hash (or even smoked anything), which was quite hard to explain when we still had to pass borders, especially the French one and riding on an old bike with long hair, and coming from Amsterdam (back on topic ;) ).
huub

Post by huub »

a couple of pics from a recent off road riding holiday in spain , great place...
where in the netherlands off road riding is virtually banned , the forests in spain are accessible.
we did up to 150 km/day off road, hardly using any paved roads.

my camel is basically stock, the mods are:
a set of knobbly tires , a aftermarket ignition, a mosfet regulator and a old 350 strada tank to replace the fragile original GRP camel tank.
the two other guys showed up on fully prepared modern rally bikes , so just keeping up with them was a challenge! :shock:
may be next time i should grap the KTM instead.

https://ibb.co/album/qFDX2p

MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

That looks good. Use them whilst you can. Italy has banned trail riding and the Government here will do soon, too. Can't have people enjoying themselves, now, can we?
hombre

Post by hombre »

Very nice indeed, did you cross that bridge? :shock:
huub

Post by huub »

hombre wrote: 21 Mar 2022 10:10 Very nice indeed, did you cross that bridge? :shock:
nope , but the ride down , and up on the other side was quite a challenge!
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Great off road trip on the best bike, well done!
Thanks for sharing, Ian
hombre

Post by hombre »

huub wrote: 21 Mar 2022 13:43
hombre wrote: 21 Mar 2022 10:10 Very nice indeed, did you cross that bridge? :shock:
nope , but the ride down , and up on the other side was quite a challenge!
Oow I can believe that!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Looks like a great adventure! Spain is getting mentioned more and more in UK trail rider circles. As mentioned already, the trails are under threat here now more than ever.
As an aside, that Strada tank doesn't look out of place on a Camel either. I'm using a borrowed tank and one day it will have to go back to its owner so that could be an option for me too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
norbert

Post by norbert »

It´s not all milk and honey concerning off road riding in spain. Things are changing as well over there and it´s not allowed everything you could do over there 10 years ago. There is a lot of trouble concerning off road riding in Spain for years. So better inform you where to go or the best: riding with some locals who know.

Sometimes we use to think that we are suffering more limitation with trafic legislacion in the north of europe than in the south, and often that´s not true. Have in mind for example that you are not allowed to enter Barcelona, Madrid and some other bigger towns with your old Morini-Twin (except weekends) and there are regions where leaving authorised trails in the county may result quite expensive! And believe it or not: I prefer the german TÜV than the spanish ITV (MOT) They may send you home because the indicator is not the original one and don´t try to talk about rearsets or stuff like that.

btw: Spain prohibited smoking in the bars one year before Germany. So let´see when the first german town will exclude our old bikes :roll: :evil:

Mickey, I guess there would bee no problem travelling to the Danish meeting at Sören that is confirmed for 5/6-8 of may :wink:
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

I hope I'm on topic, a quick update is that I've covered over 2000km in the last 6 weeks riding Moto Morinis in England: 2000+km on my recently rebuilt New York/Excalibur hybrid and 100km on my Kanguro X down to Ace Cafe in London for the Overland event. For 30+ year old bikes they're doing well, they're still on proving runs so I can fettle them to improve their reliability, rideability and enjoyment. I've managed over 500km a day on the New York (essentially only stopping for fuel and brief rests) and 1000km was in under 48 hours.

Problems so far:
- the New York is using (or throwing away) some oil, it seemed to be escaping from the breather tube and from around the filler cap, the breather tube is now sorted with a combination of high-end silicon tubing (19mm ID) and heatshrink to reduce the gaps (as the breather outlet and the tubing are just over 18mm OD), the chain it came with was a basic old chain that was not very worn but seemed to have rusted internally while it was stood waiting a year or more for the engine to be repaired, and there were lots of things that rattled.

- the front brake pivot in the front drum is prone to seizing in place if I leave the bike unridden for a month or two.

Fuel efficiency is pretty good, around 60mpg on both bikes.

Anyone else (apart from Soren?) riding their Morinis longer distances? If so, how are they - and you - coping?
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I regularly do 100/ 150 miles on my Morini, just done 60 miles today on the 125 H, I find the more I use them, the more reliable they are, never really had a problem.
Regards Pete.
norbert

Post by norbert »

For me the best and most butiful way to ride a motocycle is travelling. Most of my km come from longer trips. With Rocinante (350K with 501) I´ve been several times in Spain and Italy, and with the Dulcinea Café Racer that I finished in 2017 two times in Spain and once to the Morano meeting in Italy. I left her down in Alicante last autumn to have an excuse to take a cheap flight down there this spring to ride her back home :wink: perhaps via Morano.

Most of this trips of about 3-5000 km I did on my own, sometimes with a friend. In bigger groups you won´t manage 4-500 km of mountain lanes a day without beeing stressed. To me our bikes are highly reliable and faithful if you treat them well.
k-10 Lost in Paradise.jpg
k-10 Lost in Paradise.jpg (133.92 KiB) Viewed 5409 times