Gran Ferro

Anything to do with Morini Prototypes- Old, New and future!
franky

Post by franky »

I don't think its that nice looking.... looks like a crashed gran passo!
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

MCN today (2nd September) carries a slightly different spin on the Motard story - this test is now of a more road based version of the original GP, which will go into production this autumn alongside the original adventure / dual purpose model, which will continue to be sold... If so, Morini are treading a similar path, albeit along a slightly different line, to Triumph in the UK with their Tiger. :)

This seems to contradict the original source, where what was spotted was a prototype under test for a motard type machine - and certainly the design drawing (the yellow coloured model on the front page of Motociclismo) is of a pure supermoto design...

The club will be at the Factory in early October - I hope we'll find out the full story there - and also speak about Morinis' competition plans and the Sports fittings on the Roadster Cup winning bike... 8)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Honestly, I don't like the looks of this. As far as a fun bike goes, I am not sure how you could beat the Corsaro. I wish they would produce a proper supersports bike instead. Otherwise, good on them for producing more new bikes!
corsaro chris

GranMotard Breaks Cover

Post by corsaro chris »

Just in case you haven't seen this...

http://www.motociclismo.it/edisport/mot ... ivertenti-

This is very close to the bike we saw being tested at the MRC visit earlier in the month, right down to the riding light mounted on the front mudguard. The engines we saw lined up for pre-production looked to have an oil cooler mounted as with Corsaro - not sure if that has been carried on to this machine.

The paint scheme is a copy of that used on the GP "off-road" competition model.

I am still not sure I'd want to hustle such a big tank around on a Motard - I suspect that there might be more work going on here :wink:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
toggy

Post by toggy »

ahh looks like a wee bonny GP, sweet
Last edited by toggy on 03 Nov 2009 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

For now they are calling it the V12M01 :?

Hope they come up with something better when it hits the showrooms
toggy

Post by toggy »

SteveMRC wrote:For now they are calling it the V12M01 :?

i recon The Gran (piccolo = small in Italian) sounds good , i think i should copyright it lol
franky

Post by franky »

poor mans veloce :wink:
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Some more info here from Ashphalt and Rubber, which is a relatively new US web based news feed; they seem to be well connected and will have an interesting view on Morini post EICMA.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2 ... #more-5990

We'll also expect to hear more about Morinis' financial position at the Milan show...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

SteveMRC wrote:For now they are calling it the V12M01 :?

It's on show at EICMA, The Milan motorcycle show, and is called the

GRANFERRO

(Big Iron)

Shame they put Suzuki B-King style exhausts on it. I would have liked to see an under engine silencer to keep the weight lower.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Not the most flattering of side views!

Still no pillion rests, just as well I went for the Gran Passo! More shots can be found at;

http://www.motociclismo.it/foto/index.p ... mage=0.jpg

(This is the same link as under the Corsaro thread). We saw the yellow frame at the Factory; I'm really surprised they're sticking with the big tank, but they seem to have saved weight elsewhere. Some nice style touches, but the Corsaro would still get my vote :wink:

I wonder when we'll see them in the UK?

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

And now for the official news. Go to the official Morini web site, English version and get the spin direct. The photo looks to have been taken at San Luca, the church on the hill south of Bologna - the road there would suit that bike to a "T" :twisted:

I also bet it'll go around Cadwell pretty fast.... :lol:

http://www.motomorini.com and click on news

:wink:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

From the EIMCA Press Office (via Morini PR);

Moto Morini loves Motard. The bike that stands out is the solid Granferro 1200, the heir to the Granpasso. It has the same engine and the same frame but is lighter.

The Granferro is aggressive, powerful and well built but also slim and seductive. It is ideal for twisting roads, where there is one curve after another.

The Granferro was designed by Rodolfo Frascoli and stands out for its decisive style. It captures everybody’s attention with its massive tubed frame. The power of the Granferro comes from the Bialbero Corsa Corta 1187cc engine that can push out 125cc. [That should be 125 bhp - cc]

The Granferro stands out in the motard world for its 27 litre fuel tank, much more than most bikes in the segment. More than ever, Morini motorbikes lead the way.

No news about the investment situation.. I guess that we need to rename this section Granpasso / Granferro :wink:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

A Granpasso with alloys.... I like the looks, but how do I fix my topbox?

MM
corsaro chris

Morini Issues first details of Granferro

Post by corsaro chris »

The first official details of the bike can be found on the 3X web site

http://www.motomorinimotorcycles.co.uk/ ... unced.html.

Start saving now if you want a motard styled GP - I wonder if they'll do luggage;

"Moto Morini revealed their eagerly awaited Granferro 'hypermotard' at the Milan motorcycle show. Billed as a "fun bike without compromise" it is powered by the Italian manufacturer's exuberant twin-cylinder CorsaCorta 1187cc V-Twin, featuring forged pistons measuring 107 mm - the largest ever manufactured for a bike in this category - with a stroke of 66 mm. Equipped with a double exhaust too, the Graferro delivers over 125 hp at the crankshaft.

Designed by Rodolfo Frascoli (of Marabese Design), the front aspect is strongly characterised by the parallel twin spotlights astride the mini fairing. which protects the instrument panel and extends into a nose cone, marking the Granferro's aggressive profile.

The tank, derived from the Granpasso adventure sport model, has a 27-litre capacity, unlike typical 'motard' bikes, allowing owners to use the bike in a more versatile manner, with great potential for medium and long trips too.

All components are from top quality suppliers - 17" wheels with light alloy rims, brakes with enbloc callipers, fully adjustable front forks and rear mono-shock and carbon fibre bodywork.

Production is scheduled for April 2010, for delivery to UK showrooms in May. It is expected to sell for between £12,500-£13,000"

CC
"I'll use the Morini"