Milano out of hibernation

Anything to do with the 1200 Milano
MickeyMoto

Milano out of hibernation

Post by MickeyMoto »

A nice ride out today. The Milano is proving to be a great bike. I need to adjust the suspension, but there is so much adjustment I don't know where to start! It is a light bike, I'm not 75 kilograms, apparently where the suspension has been set, but the bike is very firm. I think I'll wait a while whilst the suspension settles down.

I can see this bike replacing a 31/2 quite easily. I'll get the Sport out later in the week and see how it feels against the Milano.

The only downside so far is keeping the white wheels white!

Anybody else got one and their impressions?
Mark N.I.

Re: Milano out of hibernation

Post by Mark N.I. »

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you have had the chance to get the milano out, weather is certainly improving, although we have snow forecast for Monday :shock:

They are a cracking looking bike, hopefully someday I'll see one in the flesh.

Milano and a 3 1/2 in the garage sounds perfect, not sure I could part with that garage
9 1/2: by no means a lesser Corsaro
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Just had an interesting trip following a Milano...

Impressive, very impressive.

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Hi Mike, the preload might be a good place to start.
The factory position for the front preload is "two clicks in from fully unscrewed", so you could try going to "one click", It needs adjusting on both legs.
The factory position for the rear preload is "5.25 full turns in from the point where the preload adjuster has been loosened to the point where it is no longer preloading the unit", so you could try going to "2.75 full turns" and work back from there.
Perhaps safer not to reduce the front preload without doing the rear as it might reduce the trail and make the steering twitchy, unless maybe you want this.

G&A
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

G&A sounds like a mix of V&A and G&T. Who doesn't like art and design through the lens of a good gin? The Milano should be on display...

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I will start with recording the current settings to ensure they are as factory spec. Once done, I'll ease off the compression damping first. This can cause the same feeling. When I bought my Corsaro, it was rock hard. I took the settings back to factory and eased off the compression back and front. It improved the ride no end. In the Isle of Man, my son was following me on his Bonneville and when we stopped he was complaining about the sorry state of the roads. I hadn't even noticed!

One other thing I notice on the Milano is that over humps I tend to be launched from the seat. Not sure if the preload is too hard, the compression is wrong, or the rebound damping needs to be tweaked. I'll try the compression first. One change at a time. I need to find a test route to compare settings, a lot of the roads have been resurfaced here, but still some older tarmac to do a good test.

Still loving the ride. The wide bars and the engine make it a great back road bike, it is so lazy. Suits my character perfectly.
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Sounds like you know what you are doing. If the problem is sudden jolts from bumps passing through the suspension, then its probably the compression rate that needs to be set on a less intrusive position. It will let the suspension compress more quickly so less jolts get through. Sometimes it's a good idea to do a similar adjustment to the rebound damping so the spring can re-extend because it will have compressed more quickly/further where there is less compression damping
We jotted down all the factory settings (even the one or two that are not in the book) if it helps just ask.
Maybe adjust the preload a little front and back if, with all your regular gear on you are more/less than the 75kg assumed by the factory.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Mike
MickeyMoto wrote: 20 Apr 2021 08:41 I took the settings back to factory and eased off the compression back and front
What settings did you settle on?
I am on 2.75 turns on the rear preload, stock on the front, I did reduce it to 1 click on front but it dives under braking
a bit too much with that setting so reverted to 2 clicks.
I reduced the front compression and rebound damping by 2 clicks from stock. I might reduce it further.
It was like a pneumatic drill before that.
Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mark,

At the moment I am standard on the rear preload and rebound (28 clicks).

Front preloaded is one from softest,rebound is standard at 20 clicks and compression 33 (31 clicks standard).

It was hard to begin with, but now a lot better. More fettling required, but it is only a pain on indentations in the road.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Mark,

I went out to 2 clicks on the front preload and minus 2 clicks on the compression. It seems a lot better. Just got back from a few days in Devon and the suspension is better.

I'll give it a test around the IoM next week. Rear tyre changed at 7.5k miles, due to squaring off. Too much motorway work.

Oh, and rear number plate fell off. There is very little metal on the bracket holding the plate assembly, and it fractured going over a cattle grid. I have modified it and hopefully it will be OK now. It needs a strap from the mudguard arm bolt to the bolt holding the mudguard lower. The metal fractured, the plastic split and the whole thing fell off, narrowly being missed by my mate behind. I carry locking wire, cable ties and a pair of cutters now, so was a simple case of attaching the plate to my pannier.

I can't work out how to turn the photo!

Mike
Attachments
IMG_20220524_185644__1653813419_185.210.163.199.jpg
IMG_20220524_185644__1653813419_185.210.163.199.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi Mike,
That's a mess and thanks for the heads up.
Possibly the stupid wind sail we have to have in the UK is the culprit here. It flexes too much?
A light and smaller aluminium one as per the standard Italian plate might be better?

I went out to 2 clicks on the front preload and minus 2 clicks on the compression,
I same but with -2 on rebound too.

Cheers
Mark
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

It does seem to be a recurring problem. Morini have fitted different versions since the first version. Was there an intermediate rubber mounted plate between the steel arm and the plastic "slate" ?
Would love to see a photo of what you have done to fix it :-)

G&A
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Honestly, you do not want to see how it is temporarily fixed. The number plate was attached to a metal plate that is attached to the mudguard which attaches to the piece of broken metal. So the holder was not fixed directly to the arm

When I get back I'll take some photos. Then I'll contact the importers...