Green Lane ride-Bank holiday Monday

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
Steve Brown

Green Lane ride-Bank holiday Monday

Post by Steve Brown »

Still time to join us on this first ride and record attempt. Send me a PM with your phone number and I'll add you to the Whatsapp group-this will also alert you to other rides being organised in other areas. Roughly half a dozen Morinis look set to be there on 31st August.

Update-The weather forecast looks perfect for us. Around 16/17 degrees C and very little chance of rain. I rode some of the lanes planned today and they were in great condition-just a little mud here and there but nothing trail tyres couldn't handle. A few puddles but again nothing too challenging. A good few people out on the lanes today too, all of them friendly-even the farmers!

Update #2 Following the recent rain some of the puddles I mentioned earlier have got bigger! Deeper, wider and wetter. Still navigable but waterproof keks* will be a very sensible idea-the water will go over the top of your boots too easily otherwise.

*keks=trousers
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Kamel

Re: Green Lane ride-Bank holiday Monday

Post by Kamel »

My brother has been sending me pics. looks as though a fun day was had by all !!

just wish I could have joined in. :cry:
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Kamel wrote:My brother has been sending me pics. looks as though a fun day was had by all !!

just wish I could have joined in. :cry:
Ahh! You're Ivan's brother! Yes we had a pretty good day thanks. All very familiar territory to me but the others seemed to appreciate it too. Well, if ever you're here...
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Well, we did it! We got 6 bikes together and set the first record for Morini trail bikes on the lanes together at the same time. 4 Camels and 2 Kanguros. I thought the Kanguros would outnumber the Camels but no. Two of the Camels were on trail tyres so noticed the slippery parts a bit more than the others on Trials or Green lane tyres. The weather stayed perfect, the water ha drained (a little) making the puddles manageable for all of us. Nobody fell off and the only mechanical malady was a gear linkage coming adrift on the riders way home.
So an unqualifed success!
We now need to get more trail/green lane rides set up for us Morini riders. Here in the UK and everywhere else.
I want to issue the challenge to beat this turnout to the clubs in Europe and further afield so if you can do the translation into Italian I'd like your help please! I can manage the Dutch and the German myself and a French and Spanish or Portuguese speaker would be useful as well.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Oh yes! there will be pictures too. As soon as we work out how to post them here and hopefully in ATG as well.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Steve,

Well done!

Do you subscribe to a photo sharing site? It is the only way to really get the photos on here at a good quality with no overhead on the site. I use Flickr.

Mike.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

MickeyMoto wrote:Steve,

Well done!

Do you subscribe to a photo sharing site? It is the only way to really get the photos on here at a good quality with no overhead on the site. I use Flickr.

Mike.
No I don't. I have a severely limited IT skills! I'm collecting pics from those who were there and once I get a local to help me out I'll post some. Hoping some are good enough for ATG as well.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

I've uploaded some pics to my Google drive..

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Looks like a perfect day.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hi Steve, that´s a nice idea trying to infect the continental "clubs" with that green-lane-rides :D or at least give them an example of what is possible :wink:

If you could send me an article with some fotos I can place it in our La Strega magazine, they will be delighted. Or I´ll send you their @address. This could be a good start for a discussion in our forum (allthough it´s quite dificult to find adequate lanes over here). Some are doing longer Enduro trips.
I also can lelp you with the spanish translation. But lately I´m loosing contact to the spanish group, that was working so fine for years. But the iberic forum is dying because of the blody whatsapp with its two days memory. I have been fighting some years trying to avoid this and explaining the importance and function of the forum ... without success :cry: To me it looks like as if the british and the german morini riders are the ones who mostly apreciate their forum (and magazine). Well don´t know about the italian one because I don´t understand :oops:

I myself do not have any idea of offroad riding allthough I have a Camel here and another Camel 501 in Spain. The spanish one has a motor disease for years and the german one is out of the game for years for not reaching to the ground :lol:

norbert
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Norbert! and thank you for your kind offer-I will take you up on that for sure. It would read better if you translate into German for me so I will get working on a write up soon. We do have some pictures though I'm afraid we forgot to get any action pics or video. None of us had an on bike camera and we were too busy enjoying the ride to think about it.

I understand the situation regarding GS fahren in Germany too. I think we can make some allowances for that if you can't find a short legal route to use? As you say many German riders travel abroad to ride off-road so perhaps it can be arranged like that for the Morini riders there too? I understand France is more relaxed as well as some of the old Eastern bloc states? What about Austria? So I would say a German Morini riding group travelling im ausland for their record attempt would be perfectly acceptable :) -Post Covid palaver of course.

Here's a long shot-I love the Isle of Man. I have visited many times and on my last two trips I rented a bike and local guide to go trail riding. I learnt a lot about their lanes-they are great and the IoM is very trail bike friendly even compared to England and Wales. I could even set up and lead a Morini ride on the Island? Again post covid restrictions. I know we have MRC members living on the island but not aware of any Camels/Kanguros? I do like this idea and one day I will have a go at it.

Glad you like the general idea and hope you can help us promote it some more!

Edit; Can you PM me your email address please?
Ming

Post by Ming »

As regards France - they may not be 'Green Lanes' but you will find numerous 'Chemins d'exploitation' (farm tracks) all over. From Chez Ming they start about 200m away and run for km with the occasional short link on tarmac. Varied between fairly smooth gravel and heavily rutted tracks. I used to enjoy them until I decided advancing years and solo riding might not be a good idea,
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Kamel wrote:I've uploaded some pics to my Google drive..

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Looks like a perfect day.
Folks, for those of you who have requested access to the pictures, you should have it now. Can you confirm?

Cheers,

Kamel.