Ignition timing Kokusan

Camel, Sahara, Kanguro, Coguaro
3potjohn

Ignition timing Kokusan

Post by 3potjohn »

Is there a way of making adjustments to the backplate with the rotor in situ on a Kokusan system. My timing does appear OK. I have never seen a timing mark move so abruptly form idle to full advance at 4000rpm. I recently removed 10mm from the rotor inductive portion which removed the occasional high idle but I cannot see how you can make adjustments on the fly. Or maybe I am being stupid.
I did see the backplate has marks for 350 and 500.Was not sure what they referenced against so made a paint mark so at least it is back as it was.
John
Steve Brown

Re: Ignition timing Kokusan

Post by Steve Brown »

Might this be connected with the running problems you're having? I have no experience of the Kokusan kit, sorry. I would have expected a more gradual advance like on most engines.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Re: Ignition timing Kokusan

Post by 3potjohn »

Carbs are the problem.Thank the Lord too.Didn’t fancy ignition trouble.
I figured out that the marks (500 or 350 )on the backplate are lined up with the edge of the casting. You have to also check that the inductive portion on the flywheel is checked against the rearmost pickup and all should be well.
The rotor has an extra steel ring on it which ought to be removed apparently.It has some effect on stabilising a low tick over if you are used to riding a Panther.
One day I will have to get it removed. In the meantime my homemade 350 rotor holder does not fit....so I made one out of wood.2 holes for bolts to engage the rotor and a 25mm hole to allow me to get a 24mm socket through for the rotor retaining nut.That’s right it’s 24mm. My clutch nut is 25mm and fork tops are 30mm, steering stem 29mm. Let’s use sizes nobody ever used before.....I had to buy new spanners and sockets.
Damn the elephant!
John